    answer as well.

    I can do perl code myself but my current perl board I have sofware has a message
    proprietary system where I've not been able to decipher the message structure.

    John, Aug 11, 2008

  2. >>>>> "John" == John <> writes:

    John> What is your perl generated discussion forum software? Preferable
    John> free/gnu.

    What the world doesn't need is one more web-based discussion forum.

    Since your questions are coming in via mail anyway, set up a (possibly
    moderated) submission address with a web searchable archive, or just
    adding a GMANE subscription, which will give you web-submissions and
    NNTP access. By keeping it as ordinary mail and NNTP, those of us
    who subscribe to more than one mailing list can use a common facility,
    rather than going to *this* funky web site for *this* list, and *that*
    completely different funky web site for *that* list.

    People who keep creating different web forum setups drive me crazy.
    They're doing the net more harm than good.

    Randal L. Schwartz, Aug 11, 2008

  3. John

    John Bokma Guest

    John <> wrote:

    > What is your perl generated discussion forum software? Preferable
    > free/gnu.
    >
    > What I need in addition to features that most forum software has:
    >
    > - when someone posts something administrator gets a copy via email
    >
    > - administrator can upload messages as if someone had posted them.
    >
    > The latter is especially important.

    You probably can do that using web automation. I have done something
    similar in the past for a PHPbb forum.

    > I maintain a
    > ask-a-question-and-we-reply forum. Often members skip the baord ask
    > directly via email. I reply them via email but I would like to upload
    > the question and my answer to the board so others can see the question
    > and my answer in hopes someone would benefit from the answer as well.
    >
    > I can do perl code myself but my current perl board I have sofware has
    > a message proprietary system where I've not been able to decipher the
    > message structure.

    If the messages are stored in a database, it's not that difficult to add
    the former (I've added a simple RSS feed to the aforementioned PHPbb forum
    that way).

    --
    John

    http://johnbokma.com/perl/

    John Bokma, Aug 11, 2008
  4. John

    John Guest

    John Bokma <> wrote:

    >If the messages are stored in a database, it's not that difficult to add
    >the former (I've added a simple RSS feed to the aforementioned PHPbb forum
    >that way).

    The problem is that the database format is proprietary and not documented. To
    make thing more complicated the data is spread between a number of files.

    John, Aug 11, 2008
  5. John

    John Bokma Guest

    John <> wrote:

    > John Bokma <> wrote:
    >

    >>If the messages are stored in a database, it's not that difficult to
    >>add the former (I've added a simple RSS feed to the aforementioned
    >>PHPbb forum that way).

    > The problem is that the database format is proprietary and not
    > documented. To make thing more complicated the data is spread between
    > a number of files.

    You mean that instead of a database files are used (or a mix even)?

    Anyway, if you can post via a browser, you can post via Perl. If you need
    help on this, see sig :-D.

    If the board has a way to see "n recent posts" or "all new posts since
    last login" it can be done with web automation as well.

    --
    John

    http://johnbokma.com/perl/help-in-exchange-for-a-gift.html

    John Bokma, Aug 12, 2008