discussion: has someone built an super-enhanced dataLIST control

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guest, Aug 6, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I use a variety of controls made by a variety of vendors, including
    Microsoft.

    In general the level of development on gridview-like presentational controls
    is very impressive. Telerik, Inc's r.a.d.Grid is spectacular, and the
    ASP.NET 2.0 GridView is not too shabby.

    In contrast, the level of development of datalist controls is terrible given
    what I have seen so far. That is very annoying given that the datalist is
    one of the few controls which can render multiple columns and templated HTML
    well. I'm building a lot of views right now involving grids of databound
    photos, presented in a "contact sheet" format, and there seems no end to the
    number of things I've having to implement myself:

    1) paging
    2) selection via checkboxes
    3) for efficiency, SQL select on only the current records
    4) sorting
    5) all client-side behaviors.
    .... and so on.

    This is all educational, but a waste of time given my other commitments. Can
    anyone point to something better, present or future?

    -KF

    Guest, Aug 6, 2007

    Guest Guest

    This may help someone else. I didn't find any super-enhanced datalist
    control. However, the ListView and the DataPager that is a part of the .NET
    3.5 framework does solve my problems elegantly. Check it out if you have
    access to a server that can run 3.5.

    -KF

    Guest, Aug 7, 2007