Dispatching functions from a dictionary

tkpmep

To keep a simulation tidy, I created a dispatcher that generates
random variables drawn from various distributions as follows:

import random

RVType = 1 #Type of random variable - pulled from RVDict

RVDict= {'1': random.betavariate(1,1), '2': random.expovariate(1),
'3': random.gammavariate(1,1), '4': random.gauss(0,1),
'5': random.lognormvariate(1,1), '6':
random.paretovariate(1),
'7': random.uniform( -1,1), '8':
random.weibullvariate(1,2) }

x = []
y=[]

rv = RVDict[str(RVType)]
for i in range(N):
x.append(rv)
y.append(rv)

Oddly, x and y get filled with a single value repeated N times. I
expected to get a different random number appear each time I called
rv ,but this does not happen. Instead, my first call to rv generates a
random number from the appropriate distribution, while subsequent
calls simply repeat the random number generated in the first call.
Where am I going wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely

Thomas Philips

Paul Rubin

RVDict= {'1': random.betavariate(1,1), '2': random.expovariate(1), ...}

This actually calls the functions random.betavariate, etc. when
initializing RVDict. If you print out the contents of RVDict you'll see
that each value in it is just a floating point number, not a callable.

You want something like:

RVDict = {'1': lambda: random.betavariate(1,1),
'2': lambda: random.expovariate(1), etc.

The "lambda" keyword creates a function that when called evaluates the
expression that you gave it. For example, lambda x: x*x is a function
that squares its argument, so saying

y = (lambda x: x*x) (3)

is similar to saying:

def square(x): return x*x
y = square(3)

Both of them set y to 9. In the case of lambda: random.expovariate(1)
you have made a function with no args, so you'd call it like this:
rvfunc = RVDict[str(RVType)]
for i in range(N):
x.append(rvfunc())
y.append(rvfunc())

rvfunc (the retrieved dictionary item) is now a callable function
instead of just a number. It takes no args, so you call it by saying
rvfunc().

George Sakkis

This actually calls the functions random.betavariate, etc. when
initializing RVDict. If you print out the contents of RVDict you'll see
that each value in it is just a floating point number, not a callable.

You want something like:

RVDict = {'1': lambda: random.betavariate(1,1),
'2': lambda: random.expovariate(1), etc.

In Python 2.5, you can also write this as:

from functools import partial

RVDict = {'1': partial(random.betavariate,1,1),
'2': partial(random.expovariate,1),
etc.

George