Display DIV over APPLET

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by SPG, Jun 15, 2005.

  1. SPG

    SPG Guest

    Hi,

    We have an app that uses a page to either load a full page applet, or some
    html based on some params.

    There are events trapped for rigth click actions that show a DIV with some
    menu options. Works fine with the HTML...

    But, of course, by default the Applet seems to take precedence over any DIV
    etc on top.

    I already feed the events back from the applet back through to the HTML via
    javascript, what I need to do is display the div over the applet so that
    thet user knows no different...

    Can this be done?

    Steve

    PS: I tried using a simple JAVA popup menu, but due to the way our applet
    works, this appears to freeze the IE browser (We take events into the Applet
    from the JAVASCRIPT, and that event seems to freeze IE with 100% CPU if a
    menu is displayed!)
    SPG, Jun 15, 2005

  2. SPG wrote:

    > I already feed the events back from the applet back through to the HTML via
    > javascript, what I need to do is display the div over the applet so that
    > thet user knows no different...

    In some browsers it might work to put an iframe over an applet but you
    can't rely on that, there are lots of different implementations and
    content like plugins or applets are usually implemented as windowed
    controls which are drawn on top of normal HTML elements. Some browsers
    implement iframes as windowed cotnrols too and furthermore allow then to
    use CSS to stack the windowed controls as needed but some do not allow that.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
    Martin Honnen, Jun 15, 2005

  3. SPG

    SPG Guest

    "Martin Honnen" <> wrote in message

    > SPG wrote:
    >
    >> I already feed the events back from the applet back through to the HTML
    >> via javascript, what I need to do is display the div over the applet so
    >> that thet user knows no different...

    > In some browsers it might work to put an iframe over an applet but you
    > can't rely on that, there are lots of different implementations and
    > content like plugins or applets are usually implemented as windowed
    > controls which are drawn on top of normal HTML elements. Some browsers
    > implement iframes as windowed cotnrols too and furthermore allow then to
    > use CSS to stack the windowed controls as needed but some do not allow
    > that.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Martin Honnen
    > http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Hi Martin,

    IFrame was unsuccessful (Possibly due to my lack of knowledge rather than
    functionality not supported!)

    We are supporting IE 5.5+ only..

    Think I may be stuck!

    Steve