Display images actual size

Simon Wigzell

I am putting together a website for a photographer. There will be a section
where his clients can select various sizes of picture to order. I would to
be able to display the images the actual size depending on the clients
screen size and resolution. Is this possible? I know that the server
receives info on the resolution of the client computer, but that isn't quiet
enough if you don't know the size of their monitor. OR the pixels per inch w
* h of the client computer? It doesn't need to be 100% perfect - there are
those monitor controls that let you stretch and compress the active area of
the monitor but most people will be within some reasonable range. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mike Brind

Simon said:
I am putting together a website for a photographer. There will be a section
where his clients can select various sizes of picture to order. I would to
be able to display the images the actual size depending on the clients
screen size and resolution. Is this possible? I know that the server
receives info on the resolution of the client computer, but that isn't quiet
enough if you don't know the size of their monitor. OR the pixels per inch w
* h of the client computer? It doesn't need to be 100% perfect - there are
those monitor controls that let you stretch and compress the active area of
the monitor but most people will be within some reasonable range. Any ideas?

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2043

Larry Bud

Simon said:
I am putting together a website for a photographer. There will be a section
where his clients can select various sizes of picture to order. I would to
be able to display the images the actual size depending on the clients
screen size and resolution. Is this possible? I know that the server
receives info on the resolution of the client computer, but that isn't quiet
enough if you don't know the size of their monitor.

If you really want to show them as high of a resolution as available,
let them scroll horizontally and vertically, otherwise store a couple
of other sizes of the image. For example, here's a site I did for a
buddy:

http://www.geoffmerrill.com/merrillart/show.asp?type=3&fn=23

On the left is a portion of the painting, click one, and you get a
small size of it. Click Zoom In, and we display as high of a
resolution as possible (for the files I was given) for the painting.
This allows the user to see as much detail as possible.

Kyle Peterson

nice work but "zoom in" / "zoom out" isn't really whats going on

"high res" / "low res" is more like it

Simon Wigzell

Thanks to the above for the links and ideas BUT - screen resolution is not
enough for me to be able to calculate how large to display an image so that
it is the correct size in inches in the client browser, for that I need to
know their monitor size too or some other piece of information like pixels
per inch...I'm surprised this has never come up before, I can think of lots
of uses espcially trying to sell anything online in being able to calcate
the correct size in px to display the iamge so that it appears the correct
size in inches on the client browser so you can say in all honesty, like in
magazines "Shown actual size"!

Not possible?

Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP]

Pixels are pixels. If my resolution is 1280x1024, then a JPG or GIF created
for the web and saved at 1200 pixels is going to fit on my screen
horizontally, regardless of whether I am using a 12" laptop screen or a 30"
cinema display.

Don't confuse this with, say, a Photoshop file where you can set 300 dpi,
600 dpi, etc. For the web, it's 72 dpi.

Mike Brind

Simon said:
Thanks to the above for the links and ideas BUT - screen resolution is not
enough for me to be able to calculate how large to display an image so that
it is the correct size in inches in the client browser, for that I need to
know their monitor size too or some other piece of information like pixels
per inch...I'm surprised this has never come up before, I can think of lots
of uses espcially trying to sell anything online in being able to calcate
the correct size in px to display the iamge so that it appears the correct
size in inches on the client browser so you can say in all honesty, like in
magazines "Shown actual size"!

Not possible?

Not possible. No. As Aaron says, the size of a pixel will vary from
monitor model to monitor model. Just to give an extreme example, I
used a 42" plasma screen as a monitor at a conference once. Your claim
to "Show Actual Size" on that would land you with some litigation :)