    those monitor controls that let you stretch and compress the active area of
    the monitor but most people will be within some reasonable range. Any ideas?

    Thanks!

    Simon Wigzell, Jun 28, 2006

  2. http://www.aspfaq.com/2043

    Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP], Jun 28, 2006

  3. Simon Wigzell

    Mike Brind Guest

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2043

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Jun 28, 2006
  4. Simon Wigzell

    Larry Bud Guest

    Simon Wigzell wrote:
    > I am putting together a website for a photographer. There will be a section
    > where his clients can select various sizes of picture to order. I would to
    > be able to display the images the actual size depending on the clients
    > screen size and resolution. Is this possible? I know that the server
    > receives info on the resolution of the client computer, but that isn't quiet
    > enough if you don't know the size of their monitor.

    If you really want to show them as high of a resolution as available,
    let them scroll horizontally and vertically, otherwise store a couple
    of other sizes of the image. For example, here's a site I did for a
    buddy:

    http://www.geoffmerrill.com/merrillart/show.asp?type=3&fn=23

    On the left is a portion of the painting, click one, and you get a
    small size of it. Click Zoom In, and we display as high of a
    resolution as possible (for the files I was given) for the painting.
    This allows the user to see as much detail as possible.

    Larry Bud, Jun 28, 2006
  5. nice work but "zoom in" / "zoom out" isn't really whats going on

    "high res" / "low res" is more like it

    Kyle Peterson, Jun 29, 2006
  6. Thanks to the above for the links and ideas BUT - screen resolution is not
    enough for me to be able to calculate how large to display an image so that
    it is the correct size in inches in the client browser, for that I need to
    know their monitor size too or some other piece of information like pixels
    per inch...I'm surprised this has never come up before, I can think of lots
    of uses espcially trying to sell anything online in being able to calcate
    the correct size in px to display the iamge so that it appears the correct
    size in inches on the client browser so you can say in all honesty, like in
    magazines "Shown actual size"!

    Not possible?

    Simon Wigzell, Jun 29, 2006
  7. Pixels are pixels. If my resolution is 1280x1024, then a JPG or GIF created
    for the web and saved at 1200 pixels is going to fit on my screen
    horizontally, regardless of whether I am using a 12" laptop screen or a 30"
    cinema display.

    Don't confuse this with, say, a Photoshop file where you can set 300 dpi,
    600 dpi, etc. For the web, it's 72 dpi.

    Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP], Jun 29, 2006
  8. Simon Wigzell

    Mike Brind Guest

    Simon Wigzell wrote:
    > Thanks to the above for the links and ideas BUT - screen resolution is not
    > enough for me to be able to calculate how large to display an image so that
    > it is the correct size in inches in the client browser, for that I need to
    > know their monitor size too or some other piece of information like pixels
    > per inch...I'm surprised this has never come up before, I can think of lots
    > of uses espcially trying to sell anything online in being able to calcate
    > the correct size in px to display the iamge so that it appears the correct
    > size in inches on the client browser so you can say in all honesty, like in
    > magazines "Shown actual size"!
    >
    > Not possible?

    Not possible. No. As Aaron says, the size of a pixel will vary from
    monitor model to monitor model. Just to give an extreme example, I
    used a 42" plasma screen as a monitor at a conference once. Your claim
    to "Show Actual Size" on that would land you with some litigation :)

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Jun 29, 2006