display instance variable values

John Sayeau

If I have a people class with instance variables @name @age and @gender
and an instance of that class called peep (justa an example).
If I want to see all the available instance variables I can do:

p peep.instance_variables => ["@age", "@name", "@gender"]

Is there a way to get the value of those instance variables for the peep
instance without calling a class method ? Say there is full r/w access
to the instance variables.

Something like:

peep.instance_variables.each do |var|

var.(display value somehow)

end

Thanks.

Josh Cheek

If I have a people class with instance variables @name @age and @gender
and an instance of that class called peep (justa an example).
If I want to see all the available instance variables I can do:

p peep.instance_variables => ["@age", "@name", "@gender"]

Is there a way to get the value of those instance variables for the peep
instance without calling a class method ? Say there is full r/w access
to the instance variables.

Something like:

peep.instance_variables.each do |var|

var.(display value somehow)

end

Thanks.
replace the line "var.(display value somehow)" with "puts
peep.instance_variable_get(var)"

Ammar Ali

p peep.instance_variables =3D> ["@age", "@name", "@gender"]

Is there a way to get the value of those instance variables for the peep
instance without calling a class method ? Say there is full r/w access
to the instance variables.

Something like:

peep.instance_variables.each do |var|

=C2=A0 var.(display value somehow)

end

What are you trying to do? This seems a little strange to me.

In any case, if the instance variable are readable or accessible, i.e.
defined with attr_reader, attr_accessor, or have methods to get them,
you can use send to get at their values:

peep.instance_variables.each do |var|
puts peep.send(var.sub('@', ''))
end

Again, it feels a little strange to me.

HTH,
Ammar

Michael Bostler

Try using instance_variable_get:

p peep.instance_variables # => ["@age", "@name", "@gender"]

peep.instance_variables.each do |var|
p var.instance_variable_get var
end

John Sayeau

That won't work.
Your asking an instance variable (var) to show its instance variables.
Tried it just to be sure.

John Sayeau

Not trying to do anything other than experiment. I was playing with for
the first time today and the book I'm readin said the view had access to
the controller's instance variables. I was trying to find out what other
instance variables/values the view could access. in the erb file id put
this code in:
<% self.instance_variables.each do |var| %>
<%= h(var) %>
<%end%>

And it gave me a list of the instance variables without values... just
trying to learn by experimenting.