    (is fullscreen)?

    Thanks,

    Sjoerd

    sjoerd, Oct 15, 2003

  2. sjoerd wrote:

    > How can I force a browser to display my webpage in the "maximized"-position
    > (is fullscreen)?

    You used the "f" word! Go wash your mouth with soap!

    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt, Oct 15, 2003

  3. sjoerd

    sjoerd Guest

    Is there anyone with a more mature answer?

    sjoerd, Oct 15, 2003
  4. Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 15, 2003
  5. "sjoerd" <> wrote in message
    > How can I force

    You can't

    > a browser to display my webpage

    You can't (not twice anyway).

    > in the "maximized"-position
    > (is fullscreen)?

    How big is that?

    Ok, now here's the story:
    1. You can't force anything, because the user has the option to go away.
    2. If you try to force user options, the user *will* go away.
    3. You don't (can't) know how big the user screen and window will be, so you
    can't do anything sensible with that information. Some people will tell you that
    you can know and use these settings. They are deluded.

    In short, don't force anything. Just make your pages work with whatever comes
    along.
    --
    Andrew Davidson

    Andrew Davidson, Oct 15, 2003
  6. sjoerd

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "sjoerd" <> wrote:

    >How can I force a browser to display my webpage in the "maximized"-position
    >(is fullscreen)?

    Full Screen and Maximised are not the same thing. Assuming Windows -
    if you want maximised press the little button next to the close window
    button in the top right corner of your browser window. If you want
    Full Screen press F11 (not available in all browsers). Does that help?

    No? Oh you want to force this to happen with other people's browsers
    as well? Well, I'm sorry but you can't 'force' anything on the web. In
    some browsers you could use JavaScript to open a new window either
    maximised and/or full screen. In a smaller number of browsers you can
    use JavaScript to approximately do the same to an existing window.

    What's so special about your web site that it should open my browser
    into either maximised or full screen mode? Why shouldn't I just leave
    your site at once if you decide to mess about with my browser and hide
    all the other windows I was working in at the same time?

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Oct 15, 2003
  7. sjoerd

    JT Guest

    sjoerd wrote:

    > How can I force a browser to display my webpage in the

    "maximized"-position (is fullscreen)?

    > > You used the "f" word! Go wash your mouth with soap! -
    >> Matthias

    Presuming you understand the reasons and arguments for not opening another
    window, but have concluded opening a new window is the way you wish to
    display your site. Then this is one way Sjord:

    Put this in the <Head> area of your links page
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function Start(page) {
    OpenWin = this.open(page, "CtrlWindow",
    "toolbar=yes,menubar=yes,location=yes,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes");
    }
    </script>

    Then use this for the link itself

    JT, Oct 15, 2003
  8. sjoerd

    sjoerd Guest

    Thanks,

    Sjoerd

    sjoerd, Oct 15, 2003
  9. "sjoerd" <> wrote in message news:<bmj71s$d9r$1.nb.home.nl>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > How can I force a browser to display my webpage in the "maximized"-position
    > (is fullscreen)?

    Have you wondered whether I, as a visitor, would want my browser to
    occupy all 1600x1200 pixels of my screen?

    --
    Hywel

    Hywel Jenkins, Oct 15, 2003
  10. sjoerd

    DU Guest

    JT wrote:
    > sjoerd wrote:
    >

    >>Is there anyone with a more mature answer than Matthias?
    >>

    > sjoerd wrote:
    >
    >>How can I force a browser to display my webpage in the

    > "maximized"-position (is fullscreen)?
    >
    >>>You used the "f" word! Go wash your mouth with soap! -
    >>>Matthias

    > Presuming you understand the reasons and arguments for not opening another
    > window, but have concluded opening a new window is the way you wish to
    > display your site. Then this is one way Sjord:
    >
    > Put this in the <Head> area of your links page
    > <script type="text/javascript">
    > function Start(page) {
    > OpenWin = this.open(page, "CtrlWindow",
    > "toolbar=yes,menubar=yes,location=yes,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes");
    > }
    > </script>
    >
    > Then use this for the link itself

    Sorry but I need to correct a few things with your answer.

    Using the "javascript:" pseudo-protocol is bad, wrong, bound to create
    problems.

    1- If javascript is disabled, then the new window will not be created,
    nor opened. The referenced resource will not even be loaded in the
    window. With target="CtrlWindow" and a real url as the href value, it
    would have in a new window. With a real url as the href, it would have.

    2- An user right-clicking the link and choosing to open the referenced
    resource in another tab will not succeed. With a proper code, it would have.

    3- An user right-clicking the link and choosing to open the referenced
    resource in the same window will not succeed. With a proper code, it
    would have.

    4- An user right-clicking to see the property of the link will be
    deceived and totally mislead. The browser will too.

    onclick="Start(this.href); return false;">Your text</a>

    I'm happy that you inserted "resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes": 2 basic
    accessibility and usability features that unfortunately a lot of webpage
    turn off.
    There are still issues with the given code. If the secondary window has
    lost focus, the code given will not give it back focus if the user
    clicks again on the link: more code would be needed to adjust this.

    More reading:
    Top Ten Web-Design Mistakes of 2002
    6. Javascript in links
    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20021223.html

    comp.lang.javascript FAQ
    http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ4_24

    "Don't use javascript: URLs
    Using a straight http: URL will allow any browser to access the link. If
    you want to use JavaScript for browsers that have JavaScript enabled,
    use the onMouseOver and onClick attributes of the <a href> tag. (...)"
    http://www.rahul.net/aahz/javascript.html#remove

    What I preach and what I practice:

    http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/Netscape7/Popup/PopupAndNetscape7.html#OpenLinkNewWindow

    http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/BrowserBugsSection/Opera7Bugs/Opera7Bugs.html

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:

    DU, Oct 15, 2003
  11. sjoerd

    Kris Guest

    In article <bmj7ur$urs$1.nb.home.nl>,
    "sjoerd" <> wrote:

    > Is there anyone with a more mature answer?
    >
    > "Matthias Gutfeldt" <> wrote in message
    > > sjoerd wrote:
    > > >
    > > > How can I force a browser to display my webpage in the

    > "maximized"-position
    > > > (is fullscreen)?

    > > You used the "f" word! Go wash your mouth with soap!

    Yeah.
    Learn how to reply on Usenet.

    In addition to your question:
    - Don't force. You cannot. Don't waste your time on things you cannot
    accomplish.
    - Don't open new windows.
    <http://diveintoaccessibility.org/day_16_not_opening_new_windows.html>
    - Don't think you know what is a good windowsize for your visitor. He
    knows best. Make your layout so that it adjusts to whatever space is
    given to it.

    --
    Kris
    erlands (nl)

    Kris, Oct 15, 2003
  12. sjoerd wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > How can I force a browser to display my webpage in the
    > "maximized"-position (is fullscreen)?

    Fullscreen != Maximised

    I accidently left my popup blocker off one day. This was the result:

    http://dorward.me.uk/www/dumb/fullscreen.jpeg

    Don't make the same mistake, leave the users window alone. If they want a
    fullscreen or maximized window then they can ask for it.

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

    David Dorward, Oct 15, 2003
  13. sjoerd

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > How can I force a browser to display my webpage in the "maximized"-position
    > > (is fullscreen)?

    > Have you wondered whether I, as a visitor, would want my browser to
    > occupy all 1600x1200 pixels of my screen?

    This could be for a Kiosk Machine.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Oct 15, 2003
  14. Whitecrest wrote:
    >> Have you wondered whether I, as a visitor, would want my browser to
    >> occupy all 1600x1200 pixels of my screen?

    > This could be for a Kiosk Machine.

    In which case it would be a browser config issue, not an HTML issue.

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

    David Dorward, Oct 15, 2003
  15. "sjoerd" <> schreef in bericht
    > Is there anyone with a more mature answer?

    No sence of humor :)

    --
    With regards,
    Samuël van Laere

    Samuël van Laere, Oct 15, 2003
  16. In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > > How can I force a browser to display my webpage in the "maximized"-position
    > > > (is fullscreen)?

    > > Have you wondered whether I, as a visitor, would want my browser to
    > > occupy all 1600x1200 pixels of my screen?

    > This could be for a Kiosk Machine.

    True, but then the person responsible for the kiosk would fire up the
    browser in the appropriate manner.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Oct 15, 2003
  17. sjoerd

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <bmkbj2$uv$2$>,
    says...
    > Whitecrest wrote:
    > >> Have you wondered whether I, as a visitor, would want my browser to
    > >> occupy all 1600x1200 pixels of my screen?

    > > This could be for a Kiosk Machine.

    > In which case it would be a browser config issue, not an HTML issue.

    If it were for a kiosk you still need to know how to open a window with
    a windowless full screen, which is a HTML issue.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Oct 15, 2003
  18. Whitecrest wrote:

    > If it were for a kiosk you still need to know how to open a window with
    > a windowless full screen, which is a HTML issue.

    errrr what?

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

    David Dorward, Oct 15, 2003
  19. "sjoerd" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > How can I force a browser to display my webpage in the

    "maximized"-position
    > (is fullscreen)?

    You can shove that idea right back where it came from.
    If your visitor wants their browser window maximized, they'll do it
    themselves, ya jerkoff.

    --
    Karl Core

    At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
    cease to be insipid.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

    eightninethree AT eightninethree.com

    EightNineThree, Oct 15, 2003
  20. sjoerd

    Mark Jones Guest

    "sjoerd" <> wrote in message
    > Is there anyone with a more mature answer?
    >
    > "Matthias Gutfeldt" <> wrote in message
    > > sjoerd wrote:
    > > >
    > > > How can I force a browser to display my webpage in the

    > "maximized"-position
    > > > (is fullscreen)?

    > > You used the "f" word! Go wash your mouth with soap!

    That was the mature answer.

    Mark Jones, Oct 16, 2003