display "maximized"

sjoerd

Hi,

How can I force a browser to display my webpage in the "maximized"-position
(is fullscreen)?

Thanks,

Sjoerd

Matthias Gutfeldt

sjoerd said:
How can I force a browser to display my webpage in the "maximized"-position
(is fullscreen)?

You used the "f" word! Go wash your mouth with soap!

Matthias

Jukka K. Korpela

sjoerd said:
Is there anyone with a more mature answer?

Sure:

Go away. The Internet is full.

(Try checking the FAQs. You cannot miss them if you read the group
before posting. Or else stay tuned to maturity contest.)

Andrew Davidson

sjoerd said:
How can I force

You can't
a browser to display my webpage

You can't (not twice anyway).
in the "maximized"-position
(is fullscreen)?

How big is that?

Ok, now here's the story:
1. You can't force anything, because the user has the option to go away.
2. If you try to force user options, the user *will* go away.
3. You don't (can't) know how big the user screen and window will be, so you
can't do anything sensible with that information. Some people will tell you that
you can know and use these settings. They are deluded.

In short, don't force anything. Just make your pages work with whatever comes
along.

Steve Pugh

sjoerd said:
How can I force a browser to display my webpage in the "maximized"-position
(is fullscreen)?

Full Screen and Maximised are not the same thing. Assuming Windows -
if you want maximised press the little button next to the close window
button in the top right corner of your browser window. If you want
Full Screen press F11 (not available in all browsers). Does that help?

No? Oh you want to force this to happen with other people's browsers
as well? Well, I'm sorry but you can't 'force' anything on the web. In
some browsers you could use JavaScript to open a new window either
maximised and/or full screen. In a smaller number of browsers you can
use JavaScript to approximately do the same to an existing window.

What's so special about your web site that it should open my browser
into either maximised or full screen mode? Why shouldn't I just leave
your site at once if you decide to mess about with my browser and hide
all the other windows I was working in at the same time?

Steve

JT

sjoerd said:
Is there anyone with a more mature answer than Matthias?
sjoerd said:
How can I force a browser to display my webpage in the
"maximized"-position (is fullscreen)?
Presuming you understand the reasons and arguments for not opening another
window, but have concluded opening a new window is the way you wish to
display your site. Then this is one way Sjord:

Put this in the <Head> area of your links page
<script type="text/javascript">
function Start(page) {
OpenWin = this.open(page, "CtrlWindow",
"toolbar=yes,menubar=yes,location=yes,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes");
}
</script>

Then use this for the link itself

sjoerd

Thanks,

Sjoerd
JT said:
"maximized"-position (is fullscreen)?

Presuming you understand the reasons and arguments for not opening another
window, but have concluded opening a new window is the way you wish to
display your site. Then this is one way Sjord:

Put this in the <Head> area of your links page
<script type="text/javascript">
function Start(page) {
OpenWin = this.open(page, "CtrlWindow",
"toolbar=yes,menubar=yes,location=yes,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes");
}
</script>

Then use this for the link itself

Hywel Jenkins

sjoerd said:
Hi,

How can I force a browser to display my webpage in the "maximized"-position
(is fullscreen)?

Have you wondered whether I, as a visitor, would want my browser to
occupy all 1600x1200 pixels of my screen?

DU

JT said:
sjoerd wrote:

"maximized"-position (is fullscreen)?

Presuming you understand the reasons and arguments for not opening another
window, but have concluded opening a new window is the way you wish to
display your site. Then this is one way Sjord:

Put this in the <Head> area of your links page
<script type="text/javascript">
function Start(page) {
OpenWin = this.open(page, "CtrlWindow",
"toolbar=yes,menubar=yes,location=yes,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes");
}
</script>

Then use this for the link itself

Sorry but I need to correct a few things with your answer.

Using the "javascript:" pseudo-protocol is bad, wrong, bound to create
problems.

1- If javascript is disabled, then the new window will not be created,
nor opened. The referenced resource will not even be loaded in the
window. With target="CtrlWindow" and a real url as the href value, it
would have in a new window. With a real url as the href, it would have.

2- An user right-clicking the link and choosing to open the referenced
resource in another tab will not succeed. With a proper code, it would have.

3- An user right-clicking the link and choosing to open the referenced
resource in the same window will not succeed. With a proper code, it
would have.

4- An user right-clicking to see the property of the link will be
deceived and totally mislead. The browser will too.

onclick="Start(this.href); return false;">Your text</a>

I'm happy that you inserted "resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes": 2 basic
accessibility and usability features that unfortunately a lot of webpage
turn off.
There are still issues with the given code. If the secondary window has
lost focus, the code given will not give it back focus if the user
clicks again on the link: more code would be needed to adjust this.

More reading:
Top Ten Web-Design Mistakes of 2002
6. Javascript in links
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20021223.html

comp.lang.javascript FAQ
http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ4_24

"Don't use javascript: URLs
Using a straight http: URL will allow any browser to access the link. If
you want to use JavaScript for browsers that have JavaScript enabled,
use the onMouseOver and onClick attributes of the <a href> tag. (...)"
http://www.rahul.net/aahz/javascript.html#remove

What I preach and what I practice:

http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/Netscape7/Popup/PopupAndNetscape7.html#OpenLinkNewWindow

http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/BrowserBugsSection/Opera7Bugs/Opera7Bugs.html

DU
--
Javascript and Browser bugs:

Kris

sjoerd said:
Is there anyone with a more mature answer?

Yeah.
Learn how to reply on Usenet.

In addition to your question:
- Don't force. You cannot. Don't waste your time on things you cannot
accomplish.
- Don't open new windows.
<http://diveintoaccessibility.org/day_16_not_opening_new_windows.html>
- Don't think you know what is a good windowsize for your visitor. He
knows best. Make your layout so that it adjusts to whatever space is
given to it.

David Dorward

sjoerd said:
Hi,

How can I force a browser to display my webpage in the
"maximized"-position (is fullscreen)?

Fullscreen != Maximised

I accidently left my popup blocker off one day. This was the result:

http://dorward.me.uk/www/dumb/fullscreen.jpeg

Don't make the same mistake, leave the users window alone. If they want a
fullscreen or maximized window then they can ask for it.

Whitecrest

In which case it would be a browser config issue, not an HTML issue.

If it were for a kiosk you still need to know how to open a window with
a windowless full screen, which is a HTML issue.

EightNineThree

sjoerd said:
Hi,

How can I force a browser to display my webpage in the "maximized"-position
(is fullscreen)?

You can shove that idea right back where it came from.
If your visitor wants their browser window maximized, they'll do it
themselves, ya jerkoff.

--
Karl Core

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid.
Friedrich Nietzsche

eightninethree AT eightninethree.com