display multiple input boxes based on results

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Joey, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. Joey

    Joey Guest

    Say a customer inserts into a sql database field (NUMINSERTS) the number
    6.

    On the following page, I want to build a table that displays 6 input
    boxes, since the customer said they wanted 6 text boxes.

    I will then insert the data from the 6 text boxes back into another sql
    database table.

    For example:
    Page 1: Ask client how many items they want to insert. Client types in
    6.
    Page 2: Table is displayed with input boxes for title of item 1 and
    price of item 1. Then title for item2 and price for item 2, and on and
    on until 6 are diaplyed.

    How do I get the correct number of text boxes to be displayed? AND then,
    how do I insert them into another table (ITEMINFO)

    Joey, Sep 29, 2004

  2. Hi Joey,

    Try something like this.

    <%
    ''user submitted number already, i.e. 6
    iNumberOfTextBoxes = Request.Form("txtNumberOfTextboxesDesired")
    ''code to make sure there was no
    ''nonsense input, like a letter, or empty, etc.
    %>

    <form method="post" action="process.asp">
    <% For i = 1 To iNumberOfTextBoxes %>

    <input name="txtTitle<%=i%>" type="text">
    <input name="txtPrice<%=i%>" type="text">
    <% Next %>

    <input type="hidden" name="count" value="<%=iNumberOfTextBoxes%>">
    <input type="submit">
    </form>

    process.asp:

    <%
    iCount = Request.Form("count")
    '''open ado connection, oADO
    For i = 1 To iCount
    sTitle = Request.Form("txtTitle" & i)
    sPrice = Request.Form("txtPrice" & i)

    '''validate the input here

    sSQL = "INSERT INTO someTable (Title,Price) VALUES ('" & sTitle & "'," &
    sPrice & ")"
    oADO.Execute sSQL,,129
    Next
    '''close and kill ADO connection
    %>

    That would be a basic layout of what would happen. You'd generate the form
    on the fly with input boxes named:

    txtTitle1,txtPrice1
    txtTitle2,txtPrice2
    txtTitle3,txtPrice3
    txtTitle4,txtPrice4

    Then you'd write the number to a hidden input.

    Then when the form is submitted, you'd take the value from the hidden input
    and use that to rebuild the input element names.

    You'd want to make sure you add validation code all over.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Sep 29, 2004

  3. Joey

    Joey Guest

    Ray, thanks for your help. That's what I needed!

    Joey, Sep 30, 2004