Display:none

Luigi Donatello Asero

Can I define how long a certain item ( for example a visited link) shall
not be displayed?

Dylan Parry

Luigi said:
Can I define how long a certain item ( for example a visited link) shall
not be displayed?

You cannot. The browser history, of which visited links is a part of, is
a browser setting and not something that you, the page author, can
change for your users. Why would you wish to hide visited links from the
user anyway?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Dylan Parry said:
You cannot. The browser history, of which visited links is a part of, is
a browser setting and not something that you, the page author, can
change for your users. Why would you wish to hide visited links from the
user anyway?

Because there are many links in the menu and I think that it should help me
if I were the user if they would not be shown after they have been clicked
the first time.
However, they should appear again. So, do they appear once a section or once
to each user?

Els

Luigi said:
Because there are many links in the menu and I think that it should help me
if I were the user if they would not be shown after they have been clicked
the first time.
However, they should appear again. So, do they appear once a section or once
to each user?

You mean you never surfed a site, went to page 1, clicked 'back' and
thought, wait, I didn't read all on page 1, I wanna see it again ?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Els said:
You mean you never surfed a site, went to page 1, clicked 'back' and
thought, wait, I didn't read all on page 1, I wanna see it again ?

Well, the user must have used the link the first time in order that it can
be a visited link, so he has already been once on that page but, may-be he
wants to visit it after 10 minutes because he wants to check up something on
that page again, so I think that it would be good if he could actively
choose to display the visited links again or if they would appear again
after 15 minutes, for example.

Oli Filth

Luigi Donatello Asero said the following on 04/06/2005 21:14:
Well, the user must have used the link the first time in order that it can
be a visited link, so he has already been once on that page but, may-be he
wants to visit it after 10 minutes because he wants to check up something on
that page again, so I think that it would be good if he could actively
choose to display the visited links again or if they would appear again
after 15 minutes, for example.

Why not just use a different colour for visited links, like every other
web-page in the world?

Els

Luigi said:
Well, the user must have used the link the first time in order that it can
be a visited link, so he has already been once on that page but, may-be he
wants to visit it after 10 minutes because he wants to check up something on
that page again, so I think that it would be good if he could actively
choose to display the visited links again or if they would appear again
after 15 minutes, for example.

I would really hate it if I had to wait for links to come back. Also I
wouldn't expect it, so I would just get totally lost, looking for that
link, and soon (if not at once) give up.

Just take my word for it; the user does not want to be more confused.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Well, the user must have used the link the first time in order that it can
be a visited link, so he has already been once on that page but, may-be he
wants to visit it after 10 minutes because he wants to check up something on
that page again, so I think that it would be good if he could actively
choose to display the visited links again or if they would appear again
after 15 minutes, for example.

Of course I could offer an alternative link for example to the html version
where the buttons do not disappear after they have been used.
But I wonder whether I could also write php with an if-clause which says
that the visited links shall not be visible for 15 minutes.
I send the post to alt.php as well.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Oli Filth said:
Luigi Donatello Asero said the following on 04/06/2005 21:14:

Why not just use a different colour for visited links, like every other
web-page in the world?

I did it before but I was not satisfied with that so I am looking for new
solutions.

dorayme

From: "Luigi Donatello Asero said:
"Oli Filth" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
I did it before but I was not satisfied with that so I am looking for new
solutions.

What you (LDA) want sounds very unnatural. Personally, the only time I ever
make visited *at all different* is where it is likely to help - especially
because it makes things look more jangly for no good reason. Mostly it is
unlikely. In one site I have a large menu at the top of a page that refer to
short abstracts of papers below. Here is a situation where a user might well
browse and want to tick off what has been visited, so I made visited
different.

You can do what you propose but at great trouble, you would need to make all
the necessary combinations of near identical html pages and think it all
through. (this would not be for browser back button use). I would rather
die.

Why not be a bit spooky, make visited same colour as background. This would
be tidy even if a bit gapy - links would sort of be there on hover... a
shiver is a runnin' down ma spine right now...

dorayme

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
What you (LDA) want sounds very unnatural. Personally, the only time I ever
make visited *at all different* is where it is likely to help - especially
because it makes things look more jangly for no good reason. Mostly it is
unlikely. In one site I have a large menu at the top of a page that refer to
short abstracts of papers below. Here is a situation where a user might well
browse and want to tick off what has been visited, so I made visited
different.

At present there is an alternative html version with links which do not
disappear but I am considering to make it accessible later only to
registered users.
You can do what you propose but at great trouble, you would need to make all
the necessary combinations of near identical html pages and think it all
through. (this would not be for browser back button use). I would rather
die.

Why not be a bit spooky, make visited same colour as background. This would
be tidy even if a bit gapy - links would sort of be there on hover... a
shiver is a runnin' down ma spine right now...

dorayme

I am trying to divide the website in different sections according to the
topic they deal with, for example
the main content of the pages which give information about holiday lodgings
which are in Italy will have the background- color
" #ccffff;" which is also used in the menu for the correspondent section
as on
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/italien-valle-daosta/boende-i-valle-daosta.php

Gazza

Luigi Donatello Asero mumbled the following on 04/06/2005 21:14:
Well, the user must have used the link the first time in order that it can
be a visited link, so he has already been once on that page but, may-be he
wants to visit it after 10 minutes because he wants to check up something on
that page again, so I think that it would be good if he could actively
choose to display the visited links again or if they would appear again
after 15 minutes, for example.

If you were driving, and came to a roundabout/crossroads, would you
expect one road to disappear just because you drove down it sometime
previously? Would you then sit there and wait 15 minutes for the road to
reappear again, or would you head off in another direction (website)
frustrated? As someone else mentioned, your idea is very unnatural and
will only serve to confuse visitors more. If you have so many links that
you feel there's too many for a new user, then change your design -
don't try and hack it.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Gazza said:
If you were driving, and came to a roundabout/crossroads, would you
expect one road to disappear just because you drove down it sometime
previously? Would you then sit there and wait 15 minutes for the road to
reappear again, or would you head off in another direction (website)
frustrated? As someone else mentioned, your idea is very unnatural and
will only serve to confuse visitors more. If you have so many links that
you feel there's too many for a new user, then change your design -
don't try and hack it.

Freedom of speech is very important.

Arne

Once said:
Freedom of speech is very important.

But your business will suffer from it if you use it on your business
site as you have done until now. No wonder the site looks like
"Jerusalem's destruction" (uttrycket "Jerusalems förstörelse" har du
kanske hört). I would not buy anything from a site like that, even if
I was able to find what I was looking for.

Php and html versions of the same pages? You said in an other thread
that you have a reason for that. What in earth would that reason be?
Also http and https versions, have you dropped the http version and
why using https on ordinary html files? Secure page is good for order
forms where persoonal information is required, but ordinary html?????

--
/Arne
http://hem.bredband.net/arnel/

Luigi Donatello Asero

Arne said:
Php and html versions of the same pages? You said in an other thread
that you have a reason for that. What in earth would that reason be?
Also http and https versions, have you dropped the http version and
why using https on ordinary html files? Secure page is good for order
forms where persoonal information is required, but ordinary html?????

Because the user can be more sure that a page which is shown over https
belongs to the site it maintains to be.
Many users do not know that yet but some do.

kchayka

Luigi said:
Because the user can be more sure that a page which is shown over https
belongs to the site it maintains to be.

If the page isn't asking for credit card info or other sensitive data,
nobody (except maybe you) is going to care if it's SSL or not.

Luigi Donatello Asero

kchayka said:
If the page isn't asking for credit card info or other sensitive data,
nobody (except maybe you) is going to care if it's SSL or not.

Please try to read a little bit of European laws and then come back, and
discuss the question again.

Lauri Raittila

in said:
Please try to read a little bit of European laws and then come back, and
discuss the question again.

Which law you imagine requiring SSL here? and for what? Anyway, which
country you think has such law? Europe is big, and has no common laws...

dorayme

From: Travis Newbury said:
If you are going to make an analogy, at lease make it relevant

I thought it quite good. Analogies are to be judged on the the points they
are designed to bring out. They are not something to be found in a big bag
where there are "correct" ones. The road analogy highlighted relevant
features.

dorayme