Display:none

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 4, 2005.

  1. Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 4, 2005

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > Can I define how long a certain item ( for example a visited link) shall
    > not be displayed?

    You cannot. The browser history, of which visited links is a part of, is
    a browser setting and not something that you, the page author, can
    change for your users. Why would you wish to hide visited links from the
    user anyway?

    --
    Dylan Parry
    http://electricfreedom.org - Where the Music Progressively Rocks!

    Dylan Parry, Jun 4, 2005

  3. "Dylan Parry" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > Can I define how long a certain item ( for example a visited link)

    shall
    > > not be displayed?

    > You cannot. The browser history, of which visited links is a part of, is
    > a browser setting and not something that you, the page author, can
    > change for your users. Why would you wish to hide visited links from the
    > user anyway?

    Because there are many links in the menu and I think that it should help me
    if I were the user if they would not be shown after they have been clicked
    the first time.
    However, they should appear again. So, do they appear once a section or once
    to each user?

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 4, 2005
  4. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Els Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > "Dylan Parry" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >>> Can I define how long a certain item ( for example a visited link)

    > shall
    >>> not be displayed?

    >> You cannot. The browser history, of which visited links is a part of, is
    >> a browser setting and not something that you, the page author, can
    >> change for your users. Why would you wish to hide visited links from the
    >> user anyway?

    > Because there are many links in the menu and I think that it should help me
    > if I were the user if they would not be shown after they have been clicked
    > the first time.
    > However, they should appear again. So, do they appear once a section or once
    > to each user?

    You mean you never surfed a site, went to page 1, clicked 'back' and
    thought, wait, I didn't read all on page 1, I wanna see it again ?

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Jun 4, 2005
  5. "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > "Dylan Parry" <> skrev i meddelandet

    > > shall
    > >>
    > >> You cannot. The browser history, of which visited links is a part of,

    is
    > >> a browser setting and not something that you, the page author, can
    > >> change for your users. Why would you wish to hide visited links from

    the
    > >> user anyway?

    > > Because there are many links in the menu and I think that it should help

    me
    > > if I were the user if they would not be shown after they have been

    clicked
    > > the first time.
    > > However, they should appear again. So, do they appear once a section or

    once
    > > to each user?

    > You mean you never surfed a site, went to page 1, clicked 'back' and
    > thought, wait, I didn't read all on page 1, I wanna see it again ?

    Well, the user must have used the link the first time in order that it can
    be a visited link, so he has already been once on that page but, may-be he
    wants to visit it after 10 minutes because he wants to check up something on
    that page again, so I think that it would be good if he could actively
    choose to display the visited links again or if they would appear again
    after 15 minutes, for example.

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 4, 2005
  6. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Oli Filth Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero said the following on 04/06/2005 21:14:
    > "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >
    >>Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >>
    >>>Because there are many links in the menu and I think that it should help
    >>>me if I were the user if they would not be shown after they have been
    >>>clicked the first time.
    >>>However, they should appear again. So, do they appear once a section or
    >>>once to each user?

    >>You mean you never surfed a site, went to page 1, clicked 'back' and
    >>thought, wait, I didn't read all on page 1, I wanna see it again ?

    > Well, the user must have used the link the first time in order that it can
    > be a visited link, so he has already been once on that page but, may-be he
    > wants to visit it after 10 minutes because he wants to check up something on
    > that page again, so I think that it would be good if he could actively
    > choose to display the visited links again or if they would appear again
    > after 15 minutes, for example.

    Why not just use a different colour for visited links, like every other
    web-page in the world?

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Jun 4, 2005
  7. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Els Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Dylan Parry" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >>> shall

    > is

    > the
    >>>

    >>> Because there are many links in the menu and I think that it should help

    > me
    >>> if I were the user if they would not be shown after they have been

    > clicked
    >>> the first time.
    >>> However, they should appear again. So, do they appear once a section or

    > once
    >>> to each user?

    >> You mean you never surfed a site, went to page 1, clicked 'back' and
    >> thought, wait, I didn't read all on page 1, I wanna see it again ?

    > Well, the user must have used the link the first time in order that it can
    > be a visited link, so he has already been once on that page but, may-be he
    > wants to visit it after 10 minutes because he wants to check up something on
    > that page again, so I think that it would be good if he could actively
    > choose to display the visited links again or if they would appear again
    > after 15 minutes, for example.

    I would really hate it if I had to wait for links to come back. Also I
    wouldn't expect it, so I would just get totally lost, looking for that
    link, and soon (if not at once) give up.

    Just take my word for it; the user does not want to be more confused.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Jun 4, 2005
    > Well, the user must have used the link the first time in order that it can
    > be a visited link, so he has already been once on that page but, may-be he
    > wants to visit it after 10 minutes because he wants to check up something

    on
    > that page again, so I think that it would be good if he could actively
    > choose to display the visited links again or if they would appear again
    > after 15 minutes, for example.

    Of course I could offer an alternative link for example to the html version
    where the buttons do not disappear after they have been used.
    But I wonder whether I could also write php with an if-clause which says
    that the visited links shall not be visible for 15 minutes.
    I send the post to alt.php as well.

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 4, 2005
  9. "Oli Filth" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero said the following on 04/06/2005 21:14:
    > > "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet

    > Why not just use a different colour for visited links, like every other
    > web-page in the world?
    >

    > --
    > Oli

    I did it before but I was not satisfied with that so I am looking for new
    solutions.

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 4, 2005
  10. Luigi Donatello Asero

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "Luigi Donatello Asero" <>

    > "Oli Filth" <> skrev i meddelandet

    >> Why not just use a different colour for visited links, like every other
    >> web-page in the world?

    > I did it before but I was not satisfied with that so I am looking for new
    > solutions.

    What you (LDA) want sounds very unnatural. Personally, the only time I ever
    make visited *at all different* is where it is likely to help - especially
    because it makes things look more jangly for no good reason. Mostly it is
    unlikely. In one site I have a large menu at the top of a page that refer to
    short abstracts of papers below. Here is a situation where a user might well
    browse and want to tick off what has been visited, so I made visited
    different.

    You can do what you propose but at great trouble, you would need to make all
    the necessary combinations of near identical html pages and think it all
    through. (this would not be for browser back button use). I would rather
    die.

    Why not be a bit spooky, make visited same colour as background. This would
    be tidy even if a bit gapy - links would sort of be there on hover... a
    shiver is a runnin' down ma spine right now...

    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 5, 2005
  11. "dorayme" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > From: "Luigi Donatello Asero" <>

    > > "Oli Filth" <> skrev i meddelandet

    > >> Why not just use a different colour for visited links, like every other
    > >> web-page in the world?

    > > I did it before but I was not satisfied with that so I am looking for

    new
    > > solutions.

    > What you (LDA) want sounds very unnatural. Personally, the only time I

    ever
    > make visited *at all different* is where it is likely to help - especially
    > because it makes things look more jangly for no good reason. Mostly it is
    > unlikely. In one site I have a large menu at the top of a page that refer

    > short abstracts of papers below. Here is a situation where a user might

    well
    > browse and want to tick off what has been visited, so I made visited
    > different.

    At present there is an alternative html version with links which do not
    disappear but I am considering to make it accessible later only to
    registered users.

    > You can do what you propose but at great trouble, you would need to make

    all
    > the necessary combinations of near identical html pages and think it all
    > through. (this would not be for browser back button use). I would rather
    > die.
    >
    > Why not be a bit spooky, make visited same colour as background. This

    would
    > be tidy even if a bit gapy - links would sort of be there on hover... a
    > shiver is a runnin' down ma spine right now...
    >
    > dorayme

    I am trying to divide the website in different sections according to the
    topic they deal with, for example
    the main content of the pages which give information about holiday lodgings
    which are in Italy will have the background- color
    " #ccffff;" which is also used in the menu for the correspondent section
    as on
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/italien-valle-daosta/boende-i-valle-daosta.php

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 5, 2005
  12. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Gazza Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero mumbled the following on 04/06/2005 21:14:
    > Well, the user must have used the link the first time in order that it can
    > be a visited link, so he has already been once on that page but, may-be he
    > wants to visit it after 10 minutes because he wants to check up something on
    > that page again, so I think that it would be good if he could actively
    > choose to display the visited links again or if they would appear again
    > after 15 minutes, for example.

    If you were driving, and came to a roundabout/crossroads, would you
    expect one road to disappear just because you drove down it sometime
    previously? Would you then sit there and wait 15 minutes for the road to
    reappear again, or would you head off in another direction (website)
    frustrated? As someone else mentioned, your idea is very unnatural and
    will only serve to confuse visitors more. If you have so many links that
    you feel there's too many for a new user, then change your design -
    don't try and hack it.
    --
    Gazza
    Mobile Number Network Checker - http://mnnc.net/

    Gazza, Jun 5, 2005
  13. Gazza wrote:
    > If you were driving...

    If you are going to make an analogy, at lease make it relevant

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jun 5, 2005
  14. "Gazza" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > If you were driving, and came to a roundabout/crossroads, would you
    > expect one road to disappear just because you drove down it sometime
    > previously? Would you then sit there and wait 15 minutes for the road to
    > reappear again, or would you head off in another direction (website)
    > frustrated? As someone else mentioned, your idea is very unnatural and
    > will only serve to confuse visitors more. If you have so many links that
    > you feel there's too many for a new user, then change your design -
    > don't try and hack it.
    > --
    > Gazza

    Freedom of speech is very important.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 5, 2005
  15. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Luigi Donatello Asero* wrote:

    > "Gazza" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> If you were driving, and came to a roundabout/crossroads, would you
    >> expect one road to disappear just because you drove down it sometime
    >> previously? Would you then sit there and wait 15 minutes for the road to
    >> reappear again, or would you head off in another direction (website)
    >> frustrated? As someone else mentioned, your idea is very unnatural and
    >> will only serve to confuse visitors more. If you have so many links that
    >> you feel there's too many for a new user, then change your design -
    >> don't try and hack it.

    > Freedom of speech is very important.

    But your business will suffer from it if you use it on your business
    site as you have done until now. No wonder the site looks like
    "Jerusalem's destruction" (uttrycket "Jerusalems förstörelse" har du
    kanske hört). I would not buy anything from a site like that, even if
    I was able to find what I was looking for.

    Php and html versions of the same pages? You said in an other thread
    that you have a reason for that. What in earth would that reason be?
    Also http and https versions, have you dropped the http version and
    why using https on ordinary html files? Secure page is good for order
    forms where persoonal information is required, but ordinary html?????

    --
    /Arne
    http://hem.bredband.net/arnel/

    Arne, Jun 5, 2005
  16. "Arne" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Once upon a time *Luigi Donatello Asero* wrote:
    >
    > > "Gazza" <> skrev i meddelandet

    > Php and html versions of the same pages? You said in an other thread
    > that you have a reason for that. What in earth would that reason be?
    > Also http and https versions, have you dropped the http version and
    > why using https on ordinary html files? Secure page is good for order
    > forms where persoonal information is required, but ordinary html?????

    Because the user can be more sure that a page which is shown over https
    belongs to the site it maintains to be.
    Many users do not know that yet but some do.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 5, 2005
  17. Luigi Donatello Asero

    kchayka Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > Because the user can be more sure that a page which is shown over https
    > belongs to the site it maintains to be.

    If the page isn't asking for credit card info or other sensitive data,
    nobody (except maybe you) is going to care if it's SSL or not.

    kchayka, Jun 5, 2005
  18. "kchayka" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > >
    > > Because the user can be more sure that a page which is shown over https
    > > belongs to the site it maintains to be.

    > If the page isn't asking for credit card info or other sensitive data,
    > nobody (except maybe you) is going to care if it's SSL or not.

    Please try to read a little bit of European laws and then come back, and
    discuss the question again.

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/italien-toscana-marciana-chiessi.php

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 5, 2005
  19. in alt.html, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > "kchayka" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Because the user can be more sure that a page which is shown over https
    > > > belongs to the site it maintains to be.

    > > If the page isn't asking for credit card info or other sensitive data,
    > > nobody (except maybe you) is going to care if it's SSL or not.

    > Please try to read a little bit of European laws and then come back, and
    > discuss the question again.

    Which law you imagine requiring SSL here? and for what? Anyway, which
    country you think has such law? Europe is big, and has no common laws...

    Utrecht, NL.
    Support me, buy Opera:
    https://secure.bmtmicro.com/opera/buy-opera.html?AID=882173

    Lauri Raittila, Jun 5, 2005
  20. Luigi Donatello Asero

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Travis Newbury <>

    > Gazza wrote:
    >> If you were driving...

    > If you are going to make an analogy, at lease make it relevant

    I thought it quite good. Analogies are to be judged on the the points they
    are designed to bring out. They are not something to be found in a big bag
    where there are "correct" ones. The road analogy highlighted relevant
    features.

    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 6, 2005