Display:none

kchayka

Luigi said:
Please try to read a little bit of European laws and then come back, and
discuss the question again.

Which laws exactly should I be reading up on? I'd really like to know.

Luigi Donatello Asero

kchayka said:
Which laws exactly should I be reading up on? I'd really like to know.

If you are really interested you could begin reading all the EU-directives
concerning commerce and e-commerce
http://europa.eu.int/information_society/eeurope/i2010/index_en.htm
http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/

I need read a lot myself.
I may have posted another link a few months ago but I cannot find it.
Basically all the national laws which are valid in the countries in which
consumers you want to sell to are resident and all the EU-directives.
One important thing is, as far as I remember, that the seller must prove
his/her identity to the buyer.

Oli Filth

Luigi Donatello Asero said the following on 06/06/2005 03:38:
If you are really interested you could begin reading all the EU-directives
concerning commerce and e-commerce
http://europa.eu.int/information_society/eeurope/i2010/index_en.htm
http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/

I need read a lot myself.
I may have posted another link a few months ago but I cannot find it.
Basically all the national laws which are valid in the countries in which
consumers you want to sell to are resident and all the EU-directives.
One important thing is, as far as I remember, that the seller must prove
his/her identity to the buyer.

If your understanding of this law is correct, that would mean that every
single commercial website in the Europe is breaking the law... ?

Lauri Raittila

Luigi Donatello Asero said the following on 06/06/2005 03:38:

And how does https help you to prove your identity? It is not any better
than http there...
If your understanding of this law is correct, that would mean that every
single commercial website in the Europe is breaking the law... ?

If that would be true, which I doubt, it will newer be real law

Luigi Donatello Asero

Oli Filth said:
Luigi Donatello Asero said the following on 06/06/2005 03:38:

If your understanding of this law is correct, that would mean that every
single commercial website in the Europe is breaking the law... ?

You can find the answer without my help.

Here is another link which can be useful if you really want to read about
laws which have to do with e-commerce.
www.ebusinesslex.net

Joel Shepherd

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
One important thing is, as far as I remember, that the seller must prove
his/her identity to the buyer.

I'm not a lawyer, but have dealt with some intricacies of e-commerce in
Europe, on the order fulfillment side of things. What is the case, is
that the identity of the seller must be stated as the customer is making
their purchase. That can be as simple as having a "This item is offered
for sale by So-and-So" blurb on the item information page. That's less
stringent than requiring _proof_ of identity, and I've never encountered
a case where proof was required. (And if there was such a case, I'm not
sure how the requirement could even be satisfied. Delivering pages over
https wouldn't be sufficient.)

Luigi Donatello Asero

Joel Shepherd said:
I'm not a lawyer, but have dealt with some intricacies of e-commerce in
Europe, on the order fulfillment side of things. What is the case, is
that the identity of the seller must be stated as the customer is making
their purchase. That can be as simple as having a "This item is offered
for sale by So-and-So" blurb on the item information page. That's less
stringent than requiring _proof_ of identity, and I've never encountered
a case where proof was required. (And if there was such a case, I'm not
sure how the requirement could even be satisfied. Delivering pages over
https wouldn't be sufficient.)

So, suppose that this is the case and tell me why delivering over https
would not be sufficient.
The customer could get information about the identity of the seller in
password protected pages, which are shown over https
for example VAT number and other specifications,
if they can be misused by others.
The customer could also be sure that all the other pages which are on the
website contain information which is given by the same seller who has given
identity information in the password protected pages.
Did you visit the website
www.ebusinesslex.net
by the way?

Joel Shepherd

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
So, suppose that this is the case and tell me why delivering over https
would not be sufficient.

What proof of identity is inherent in https? The only guarantee that
https provides is that data is being sent securely. It does not
guarantee the validity of the data itself.
Did you visit the website www.ebusinesslex.net by the way?

Yes. Nothing I saw there contradicted any practical experience I've had
with large-scale e-commerce order fulfillment.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Joel Shepherd said:
"Luigi Donatello Asero" <[email protected]> wrote:

That the website is the one which it maintains to be.
A certificate is shown which contains information which says that a certain
website is verified. That garantees that no other website can take over the
original website´ s identity.
Later you can check it up who registered the domain and read the
information on the website.
Moreover if the
data had not been sent securely they could have been misused.
See the example which I did before.
Of course it would be better to use also the qualified electronic signatures
but it seems as some of you are against such kind of things..

Joel Shepherd

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
That the website is the one which it maintains to be.
A certificate is shown which contains information which says that a certain
website is verified.

Certificates can be fraudulent, and in fact there have been cases of
this, including one that targeted Microsoft.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Joel Shepherd said:
Certificates can be fraudulent, and in fact there have been cases of
this, including one that targeted Microsoft.

May-be that there have been such cases.
But would you trust more a site with a certificate or one with any
certificate at all?
I trust more a site with a certificate.

Animesh Kumar

Luigi said:
May-be that there have been such cases.
But would you trust more a site with a certificate or one with any
certificate at all?
I trust more a site with a certificate.

it's cute to see him argue with everyone on needless basis. That too in
a flash.