Display Problems with Mac Browsers

Christofer Dutz

Hi,

I am having some big problems with Mac Browsers. Especially Netscape 6
and Internet Explorer 5.

The Pages are all Strict HTML 4.01 which I have validated with the W3C
validation service.

On all Windows browsers, which I have tested everything looks fine now.
When viewing the page with MAC browsers evetything is totaly different.
The Mac Netscape 6 doesn't allow my navigation popup-divs are simply cut
off aftger reaching either the parent Divs border or the cell which
contains the div. Everything else seems to look fine.
The Internet Explorer is totaly strange. The page-area is huge, so you
have to scrol to the content. Then everything is sort of pressed to the
left. Each element in every table row is pushed to the left border of
the table where they cover each other.

I have no clue of where to find any information about this.

I have temporarily uploaded the site to http://mail.c-ware.de so you can
have a look at what I'm talking about (please no comment on the pages
content ... I have nothing to do with that ;) )

Hope anyone can help me ... otherwise I'll have to simply ignore those
Mac-Users because I have no time to completely redo the page for those
few percent of clients.

Chris

Christofer Dutz

Another Update: Opera 6.03 seems to ignore the overflow-attributes of my
DIVs ... usually ther would be vertical scrolbars ... now the div flows
over the entire screen. And my popups which should popup up pop down ...
very strange :(

Andy Dingley

The Pages are all Strict HTML 4.01 which I have validated with the W3C
validation service.

This is a prime example of "Strict DTD voodoo"

These aren't the _worst_ pages I've seen posted, but they're some of
them. "They must be good, because I've complied with the strict DTD"
and yet the coding style is just about as backward-looking as you can
get. A hellish mixture of tables and CSS, and the CSS internal,
external and inlined. They're a _mess_, no wonder you don't know why
it's going wrong. There's crap in here like a HTML comment inside the
_must_ be good because it's according to Strict !

And you didn't validate the CSS, did you, because that's full of
typos.

As to the specifics, then it's your length units that are causing most
of the trouble. A mix of points (which is bad anyway), pixels and
percentages. You couldn't have written a better demonstrator for a
Mac-unfriendly page if you'd tried.

And it's not even valid HTML, because the framest isn't.

Christofer Dutz

Andy said:
[...]

Ok ... thanks for the compliments ;)

what typos ore you talking about? I put the comment in the style element
because i read that this would be the way to protect old browsers from
choking on these, if they can't understand them.
the meta stuf is generated by cocoon by default, so I left it there
since I thought it would be ok.
When talking about the length values I only use px the only occurances
of % is when I talk about 100% width of tables. Didn't know that this is
bad. 100% hight I would understand, but width shouldn't be a problem.
If this code is SO TOTALY ROTTEN AND BAD that Mac can't read it ... well
I think I wont comment on software quality of Mac Browsers then ;)

Your answer sill doesn't explain why in Netscape the Divs are cutt off
when leavin the range of their parent div. Or why IE does stuf I could
never achieve intentionally.

Chris

dorayme

From: Christofer Dutz said:
Hi,

I am having some big problems with Mac Browsers. Especially Netscape 6
and Internet Explorer 5.
snip

I have temporarily uploaded the site to http://mail.c-ware.de

Hope anyone can help me ... otherwise I'll have to simply ignore those
Mac-Users because I have no time to completely redo the page for those
few percent of clients.

Chris

Please don't ignore us... And don't hold us hostage over the edge
threatening to drop us from a great height unless you get what you want...
:)

(Your code needs a big overhaul. You have frames (no big crime in itself)
and very complex table parameters (which in my opinion is unnecessary), it
is slow loading on dial up... It needs a great simplifiation given what
appears (I saw it fine in Mozilla 1.3 on an old Mac)

dorayme

Lauri Raittila

it seems to ignore the text size ...

Of course, if you have used too small text size. IE knows how to do that
as well, but hardly enyone knows how to change that setting.
I'll have to have a look at that one ...

Make it work on all fontsizes.

Christofer Dutz

dorayme said:
Please don't ignore us... And don't hold us hostage over the edge
threatening to drop us from a great height unless you get what you want...
:)
Don't want to, but I am runing out of time :(
(Your code needs a big overhaul. You have frames (no big crime in itself)
and very complex table parameters (which in my opinion is unnecessary), it
is slow loading on dial up... It needs a great simplifiation given what
appears (I saw it fine in Mozilla 1.3 on an old Mac)
On my development-version I switched to DIV-layout so this should be a
lot nicer now. I'll have to test it with the mac when I have finished
the other work.

I didn't like having to use frames but as the web-shop has to do it's
work somehow and I didnt want to have to load the main or popup-pages on
every "add-to-cart" click I decded to use a cart loaded into a hidden
frame ... any better suggestions? If yes, I'll change that right away.

Unfortunately I am more the software architect and not the ultimative
webdesigner, so please have mercy with me ;)

Regards,
Chris

Christofer Dutz

Lauri said:
in alt.html, Christofer Dutz wrote:

Of course, if you have used too small text size. IE knows how to do that
as well, but hardly enyone knows how to change that setting.

Make it work on all fontsizes.
That's a lot harder than you might think ... at least for me.
I think I'll switch to the "online-jpg-creation" functions of cocoon and
send jpeg for the buttons instead of trying to create them in the browser ;)