Display Problems with Mac Browsers

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Christofer Dutz, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I am having some big problems with Mac Browsers. Especially Netscape 6
    and Internet Explorer 5.

    The Pages are all Strict HTML 4.01 which I have validated with the W3C
    validation service.

    On all Windows browsers, which I have tested everything looks fine now.
    When viewing the page with MAC browsers evetything is totaly different.
    The Mac Netscape 6 doesn't allow my navigation popup-divs are simply cut
    off aftger reaching either the parent Divs border or the cell which
    contains the div. Everything else seems to look fine.
    The Internet Explorer is totaly strange. The page-area is huge, so you
    have to scrol to the content. Then everything is sort of pressed to the
    left. Each element in every table row is pushed to the left border of
    the table where they cover each other.

    I have no clue of where to find any information about this.

    I have temporarily uploaded the site to http://mail.c-ware.de so you can
    have a look at what I'm talking about (please no comment on the pages
    content ... I have nothing to do with that ;) )

    Hope anyone can help me ... otherwise I'll have to simply ignore those
    Mac-Users because I have no time to completely redo the page for those
    few percent of clients.



    Chris
     
    Christofer Dutz, Apr 7, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Another Update: Opera 6.03 seems to ignore the overflow-attributes of my
    DIVs ... usually ther would be vertical scrolbars ... now the div flows
    over the entire screen. And my popups which should popup up pop down ...
    very strange :(

    Christofer Dutz wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am having some big problems with Mac Browsers. Especially Netscape 6
    > and Internet Explorer 5.
    >
    > The Pages are all Strict HTML 4.01 which I have validated with the W3C
    > validation service.
    >
    > On all Windows browsers, which I have tested everything looks fine now.
    > When viewing the page with MAC browsers evetything is totaly different.
    > The Mac Netscape 6 doesn't allow my navigation popup-divs are simply cut
    > off aftger reaching either the parent Divs border or the cell which
    > contains the div. Everything else seems to look fine.
    > The Internet Explorer is totaly strange. The page-area is huge, so you
    > have to scrol to the content. Then everything is sort of pressed to the
    > left. Each element in every table row is pushed to the left border of
    > the table where they cover each other.
    >
    > I have no clue of where to find any information about this.
    >
    > I have temporarily uploaded the site to http://mail.c-ware.de so you can
    > have a look at what I'm talking about (please no comment on the pages
    > content ... I have nothing to do with that ;) )
    >
    > Hope anyone can help me ... otherwise I'll have to simply ignore those
    > Mac-Users because I have no time to completely redo the page for those
    > few percent of clients.
    >
    >
    >
    > Chris
     
    Christofer Dutz, Apr 7, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Christofer Dutz wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am having some big problems with Mac Browsers. Especially Netscape 6
    > and Internet Explorer 5.
    >
    > The Pages are all Strict HTML 4.01 which I have validated with the W3C
    > validation service.
    >
    ><snip>


    Well, Mac and IE5 you're always in a 'World of Hurt'! ;-) Just do a
    little Googling and .....

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=ie5 mac bugs&btnG=Search

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
     
    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 7, 2005
    #3
  4. Christofer Dutz

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 11:08:41 +0200, Christofer Dutz <>
    wrote:

    >The Pages are all Strict HTML 4.01 which I have validated with the W3C
    >validation service.


    This is a prime example of "Strict DTD voodoo"

    These aren't the _worst_ pages I've seen posted, but they're some of
    them. "They must be good, because I've complied with the strict DTD"
    and yet the coding style is just about as backward-looking as you can
    get. A hellish mixture of tables and CSS, and the CSS internal,
    external and inlined. They're a _mess_, no wonder you don't know why
    it's going wrong. There's crap in here like a HTML comment inside the
    <style> element and a http-equiv=content-type meta in there, but it
    _must_ be good because it's according to Strict !

    And you didn't validate the CSS, did you, because that's full of
    typos.

    As to the specifics, then it's your length units that are causing most
    of the trouble. A mix of points (which is bad anyway), pixels and
    percentages. You couldn't have written a better demonstrator for a
    Mac-unfriendly page if you'd tried.

    And it's not even valid HTML, because the framest isn't.
     
    Andy Dingley, Apr 7, 2005
    #4
  5. Andy Dingley wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 11:08:41 +0200, Christofer Dutz <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>The Pages are all Strict HTML 4.01 which I have validated with the W3C
    >>validation service.

    >
    >
    > This is a prime example of "Strict DTD voodoo"
    >
    > These aren't the _worst_ pages I've seen posted, but they're some of
    > them. "They must be good, because I've complied with the strict DTD"
    > and yet the coding style is just about as backward-looking as you can
    > get. A hellish mixture of tables and CSS, and the CSS internal,
    > external and inlined. They're a _mess_, no wonder you don't know why
    > it's going wrong. There's crap in here like a HTML comment inside the
    > <style> element and a http-equiv=content-type meta in there, but it
    > _must_ be good because it's according to Strict !
    >
    > And you didn't validate the CSS, did you, because that's full of
    > typos.
    >
    > As to the specifics, then it's your length units that are causing most
    > of the trouble. A mix of points (which is bad anyway), pixels and
    > percentages. You couldn't have written a better demonstrator for a
    > Mac-unfriendly page if you'd tried.
    >
    > And it's not even valid HTML, because the framest isn't.


    Ok ... thanks for the compliments ;)

    what typos ore you talking about? I put the comment in the style element
    because i read that this would be the way to protect old browsers from
    choking on these, if they can't understand them.
    the meta stuf is generated by cocoon by default, so I left it there
    since I thought it would be ok.
    When talking about the length values I only use px the only occurances
    of % is when I talk about 100% width of tables. Didn't know that this is
    bad. 100% hight I would understand, but width shouldn't be a problem.
    If this code is SO TOTALY ROTTEN AND BAD that Mac can't read it ... well
    I think I wont comment on software quality of Mac Browsers then ;)

    Your answer sill doesn't explain why in Netscape the Divs are cutt off
    when leavin the range of their parent div. Or why IE does stuf I could
    never achieve intentionally.

    Chris
     
    Christofer Dutz, Apr 8, 2005
    #5
  6. Blinky the Shark, Apr 8, 2005
    #6
  7. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Christofer Dutz wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I am having some big problems with Mac Browsers. Especially Netscape 6
    >>and Internet Explorer 5.

    >
    >
    > Opera and Firefox - Linux:
    >
    > http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/buttons.gif
    >

    That's strange ... it seems to ignore the text size ... I'll have to
    have a look at that one ...

    Thanx
    Chris
     
    Christofer Dutz, Apr 8, 2005
    #7
  8. Christofer Dutz

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Christofer Dutz <>
    > Organization: T-Online


    > Hi,
    >
    > I am having some big problems with Mac Browsers. Especially Netscape 6
    > and Internet Explorer 5.


    snip

    > I have temporarily uploaded the site to http://mail.c-ware.de



    > Hope anyone can help me ... otherwise I'll have to simply ignore those
    > Mac-Users because I have no time to completely redo the page for those
    > few percent of clients.
    >
    > Chris


    Please don't ignore us... And don't hold us hostage over the edge
    threatening to drop us from a great height unless you get what you want...
    :)

    (Your code needs a big overhaul. You have frames (no big crime in itself)
    and very complex table parameters (which in my opinion is unnecessary), it
    is slow loading on dial up... It needs a great simplifiation given what
    appears (I saw it fine in Mozilla 1.3 on an old Mac)

    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Apr 8, 2005
    #8
  9. in alt.html, Christofer Dutz wrote:

    > it seems to ignore the text size ...


    Of course, if you have used too small text size. IE knows how to do that
    as well, but hardly enyone knows how to change that setting.

    > I'll have to have a look at that one ...


    Make it work on all fontsizes.


    --
    Lauri Raittila <http://www.iki.fi/lr> <http://www.iki.fi/zwak/fonts>
    Utrecht, NL.
    Support me, buy Opera:
    https://secure.bmtmicro.com/opera/buy-opera.html?AID=882173
     
    Lauri Raittila, Apr 9, 2005
    #9
  10. dorayme wrote:
    >>From: Christofer Dutz <>
    >>Organization: T-Online

    >
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I am having some big problems with Mac Browsers. Especially Netscape 6
    >>and Internet Explorer 5.

    >
    >
    > snip
    >
    >
    >>I have temporarily uploaded the site to http://mail.c-ware.de

    >
    >
    >
    >>Hope anyone can help me ... otherwise I'll have to simply ignore those
    >>Mac-Users because I have no time to completely redo the page for those
    >>few percent of clients.
    >>
    >>Chris

    >
    >
    > Please don't ignore us... And don't hold us hostage over the edge
    > threatening to drop us from a great height unless you get what you want...
    > :)

    Don't want to, but I am runing out of time :(

    > (Your code needs a big overhaul. You have frames (no big crime in itself)
    > and very complex table parameters (which in my opinion is unnecessary), it
    > is slow loading on dial up... It needs a great simplifiation given what
    > appears (I saw it fine in Mozilla 1.3 on an old Mac)

    On my development-version I switched to DIV-layout so this should be a
    lot nicer now. I'll have to test it with the mac when I have finished
    the other work.

    I didn't like having to use frames but as the web-shop has to do it's
    work somehow and I didnt want to have to load the main or popup-pages on
    every "add-to-cart" click I decded to use a cart loaded into a hidden
    frame ... any better suggestions? If yes, I'll change that right away.

    Unfortunately I am more the software architect and not the ultimative
    webdesigner, so please have mercy with me ;)

    Regards,
    Chris

    > dorayme
    >
     
    Christofer Dutz, Apr 10, 2005
    #10
  11. Lauri Raittila wrote:
    > in alt.html, Christofer Dutz wrote:
    >
    >
    >>it seems to ignore the text size ...

    >
    >
    > Of course, if you have used too small text size. IE knows how to do that
    > as well, but hardly enyone knows how to change that setting.
    >
    >
    >>I'll have to have a look at that one ...

    >
    >
    > Make it work on all fontsizes.

    That's a lot harder than you might think ... at least for me.
    I think I'll switch to the "online-jpg-creation" functions of cocoon and
    send jpeg for the buttons instead of trying to create them in the browser ;)
     
    Christofer Dutz, Apr 10, 2005
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. TJmaster
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,469
    Karl Seguin
    Feb 24, 2005
  2. Diego TERCERO
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    553
    Martin Honnen
    Mar 3, 2005
  3. El Kabong

    Browsers, browsers! Quo vadis?

    El Kabong, May 11, 2007, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    23
    Views:
    906
    dorayme
    May 13, 2007
  4. Tyrone Slothrop

    Mac Display Problems

    Tyrone Slothrop, May 16, 2007, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    392
    Toby A Inkster
    May 18, 2007
  5. Tom Cahill

    Javascript not working on MAC browsers

    Tom Cahill, Jun 22, 2004, in forum: Javascript
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    219
    Dr John Stockton
    Jun 22, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page