    Chris Ramsay Guest

    I have noticed that the CSS display:table attribute is not supported by
    IE7 - is there a workaround/hack for this?
    Chris Ramsay, Dec 12, 2006

  2. Chris Ramsay

    Chris Ramsay Guest

    Chris Ramsay wrote:

    > I have noticed that the CSS display:table attribute is not supported by
    > IE7 - is there a workaround/hack for this?

    Actually, I have just discovered this:

    height: 1%;
    display: block;

    As found here: http://archivist.incutio.com/viewlist/css-discuss/69930
    Chris Ramsay, Dec 12, 2006

  3. Chris Ramsay

    Bergamot Guest

    Chris Ramsay wrote:
    > Chris Ramsay wrote:
    >
    > height: 1%;

    Be advised that this will have different results in IE6 (and prior
    versions) from other browsers, including IE7.

    IE7 respects the height property the same as other browsers. IE6 does
    not, but treats it as min-height. All bets are off if your DOCTYPE
    triggers quirks mode, but you shouldn't be doing that anyway.

    Try using zoom:1 instead of the height property. It's a proprietary MS
    property and usually gives the same results, plus it does not negatively
    affect other browsers.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Dec 12, 2006
  4. ..oO(Bergamot)

    >Chris Ramsay wrote:
    >> Chris Ramsay wrote:
    >>
    >> height: 1%;

    >Be advised that this will have different results in IE6 (and prior
    >versions) from other browsers, including IE7.

    That's where conditional comments come in handy.

    >Try using zoom:1 instead of the height property. It's a proprietary MS
    >property and usually gives the same results, plus it does not negatively
    >affect other browsers.

    The stylesheet won't be standards-compliant anymore. With a CC you can
    easily include an IE-only stylesheet without tainting the others.

    Micha
    Michael Fesser, Dec 12, 2006
  5. Chris Ramsay

    Bergamot Guest

    Michael Fesser wrote:
    > .oO(Bergamot)
    >
    >>Try using zoom:1 instead of the height property. It's a proprietary MS
    >>property

    > The stylesheet won't be standards-compliant anymore.

    So what? Passing validation is a worthy goal, but is not the be-all and
    end-all. There is nothing wrong with using proprietary properties if you
    know what you are doing. That's not in the same category as exploiting
    parsing errors, if that's what you're thinking.

    BTW, how would you get gecko to use its version of display:inline-block
    without using -moz properties or values? That is another case to use
    proprietary rules, so it's not just IE.

    > With a CC you can
    > easily include an IE-only stylesheet without tainting the others.

    You'd rather taint the HTML on all pages with IE-specific bloat? :-\

    I would rather add a few bytes to one CSS file than several lines in
    every HTML file, plus have the overhead of downloading an additional
    file on top of that. But that's just me. ;)

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Dec 12, 2006
  6. Chris Ramsay

    Spartanicus Guest

    Bergamot <> wrote:

    >>>Try using zoom:1 instead of the height property. It's a proprietary MS
    >>>property

    >> The stylesheet won't be standards-compliant anymore.

    >So what? Passing validation is a worthy goal, but is not the be-all and
    >end-all. There is nothing wrong with using proprietary properties if you
    >know what you are doing. That's not in the same category as exploiting
    >parsing errors, if that's what you're thinking.

    I'd go further, validation is only a tool that may be of some help to
    beginners to discover basic syntax errors. But there is no intrinsic
    value in CSS that "validates". Most competent developers never check
    their CSS with a syntax checker, ergo nothing is lost by their code not
    passing a dumb bot check.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Dec 12, 2006
  7. Chris Ramsay

    Bergamot Guest

    Spartanicus wrote:

    > validation is only a tool that may be of some help to
    > beginners to discover basic syntax errors.

    Beginners aren't the only ones that might benefit from that. The only
    time I run my stylesheets through the validator these days is if I have
    a rendering problem and can't find the cause right away. The validator
    is handy for finding things like colons that should be semi-colons and
    other typos.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Dec 13, 2006
  8. ..oO(Bergamot)

    >> With a CC you can
    >> easily include an IE-only stylesheet without tainting the others.

    >You'd rather taint the HTML on all pages with IE-specific bloat? :-\

    In this case yes, because I usually need some more fixes for IE.
    I can also use the same CC to include an IE-specific JavaScript.
    I consider that an ugly, but acceptable way.

    Micha
    Michael Fesser, Dec 13, 2006
  9. Chris Ramsay

    Spartanicus Guest

    Bergamot <> wrote:

    >> validation is only a tool that may be of some help to
    >> beginners to discover basic syntax errors.

    >Beginners aren't the only ones that might benefit from that. The only
    >time I run my stylesheets through the validator these days is if I have
    >a rendering problem and can't find the cause right away. The validator
    >is handy for finding things like colons that should be semi-colons and
    >other typos.

    When I have a typo I am alerted to it by some CSS not working in my
    browser, from what doesn't work a developer should know exactly where to
    look in his code.

    A CSS checker bot is useless for things like specificity issues, for
    that there are tools like the DOM inspector.

    CSS syntax checker bots have very limited uses, even if the errors
    and/or messages they do and do not produce are correct and/or
    appropriate, and don't confuse people (all of which they to often do). A
    CSS checker bot is certainly not something that should be appeased.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Dec 13, 2006
  10. Chris Ramsay

    Bergamot Guest

    Spartanicus wrote:

    > from what doesn't work a developer should know exactly where to
    > look in his code.

    If you look at something for too long, you stop seeing it. Maybe that
    doesn't happen to you, but it does to me, at least now and then.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Dec 13, 2006
  11. Chris Ramsay

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Spartanicus <> wrote:

    > >> The stylesheet won't be standards-compliant anymore.

    > >So what? Passing validation is a worthy goal, but is not the be-all and
    > >end-all. There is nothing wrong with using proprietary properties if you
    > >know what you are doing. That's not in the same category as exploiting
    > >parsing errors, if that's what you're thinking.

    > I'd go further, validation is only a tool that may be of some help to
    > beginners to discover basic syntax errors. But there is no intrinsic
    > value in CSS that "validates". Most competent developers never check
    > their CSS with a syntax checker, ergo nothing is lost by their code not
    > passing a dumb bot check.

    Still, if one is using iCab and the little face (a brilliant
    little invention of the browser maker) is not smiling, it would
    be unlikely that the hardiest and experienced developer would not
    want to click it and at least take a peek at what is causing such
    unhappiness...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 13, 2006