Display TITLE text on hover

Manny Goldman

Hi All -- please forgive the cross posting,

I'm using Opera 7.74 on WinNT 4.0. The problem seems to be that the browser
doesn't display TITLE texts of images, links, etc. on mouseover like a
previous version (7.10? 7.03?) used to. It makes no display on hover at
all, not even ALT text.

Is this a embarassingly stupid question because there is a switch to govern
this behavior that I can't find (I would appreciate being correctly
informed)? Or have the designers really decided not to implement that
feature in this version due to Lord knows why?

(For what it's worth, I think a good thing to do would be to emulate IE6
(damn) which seems to acknowledge the tremendous confusion there has been
between ALT and TITLE by displaying ALT text only if there appears to be no
TITLE.)

Thanks,

Manny Goldman

Toby Inkster

Manny said:
I'm using Opera 7.74 on WinNT 4.0. The problem seems to be that the browser
doesn't display TITLE texts of images, links, etc. on mouseover like a
previous version (7.10? 7.03?) used to.

Check Preferences > Windows > Show Tooltips.
For what it's worth, I think a good thing to do would be to emulate IE6
(damn) which seems to acknowledge the tremendous confusion there has
been between ALT and TITLE by displaying ALT text only if there appears
to be no TITLE.)

There is no confusion, except perhaps in your head. Alt text is text to
display when the image can't be displayed. Title text is information that
is supplementry to the image. Opera behaves correctly.

Manny Goldman

Check Preferences > Windows > Show Tooltips.

There is no confusion, except perhaps in your head. Alt text is text
to display when the image can't be displayed. Title text is
information that is supplementry to the image. Opera behaves
correctly.

Thanks for the correction, I think.

Neal

(For what it's worth, I think a good thing to do would be to emulate IE6
(damn) which seems to acknowledge the tremendous confusion there has been
between ALT and TITLE by displaying ALT text only if there appears to be
no
TITLE.)

Fw'ups to alt.html

I disagree. title is useful on many, many elements, and if title is not
set on them, there is no tooltip. Why should it be different for img? Why
should that be a special case?

As Opera will indeed display title if that's switched on, there's no real
reason to need alt as a backup. If you don't want a tooltip, you don't use
title. But IE interferes, and says, well, here's a tooltip on alt anyhow,
nyah hah hah.

Neal