    TITLE.)

    Thanks,

    Manny Goldman

    Manny Goldman, Oct 3, 2004

  2. Manny Goldman

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Manny Goldman wrote:

    > I'm using Opera 7.74 on WinNT 4.0. The problem seems to be that the browser
    > doesn't display TITLE texts of images, links, etc. on mouseover like a
    > previous version (7.10? 7.03?) used to.

    Check Preferences > Windows > Show Tooltips.

    > For what it's worth, I think a good thing to do would be to emulate IE6
    > (damn) which seems to acknowledge the tremendous confusion there has
    > been between ALT and TITLE by displaying ALT text only if there appears
    > to be no TITLE.)

    There is no confusion, except perhaps in your head. Alt text is text to
    display when the image can't be displayed. Title text is information that
    is supplementry to the image. Opera behaves correctly.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Oct 3, 2004

  3. Toby Inkster <> wrote in

    > Manny Goldman wrote:
    >
    >> I'm using Opera 7.74 on WinNT 4.0. The problem seems to be that the
    >> browser doesn't display TITLE texts of images, links, etc. on
    >> mouseover like a previous version (7.10? 7.03?) used to.

    > Check Preferences > Windows > Show Tooltips.
    >
    >> For what it's worth, I think a good thing to do would be to emulate
    >> IE6 (damn) which seems to acknowledge the tremendous confusion there
    >> has been between ALT and TITLE by displaying ALT text only if there
    >> appears to be no TITLE.)

    > There is no confusion, except perhaps in your head. Alt text is text
    > to display when the image can't be displayed. Title text is
    > information that is supplementry to the image. Opera behaves
    > correctly.

    Thanks for the correction, I think.

    Manny Goldman, Oct 3, 2004
  4. Manny Goldman

    Neal Guest

    On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 19:41:34 GMT, Manny Goldman <> wrote:

    > (For what it's worth, I think a good thing to do would be to emulate IE6
    > (damn) which seems to acknowledge the tremendous confusion there has been
    > between ALT and TITLE by displaying ALT text only if there appears to be
    > no
    > TITLE.)

    Fw'ups to alt.html

    I disagree. title is useful on many, many elements, and if title is not
    set on them, there is no tooltip. Why should it be different for img? Why
    should that be a special case?

    As Opera will indeed display title if that's switched on, there's no real
    reason to need alt as a backup. If you don't want a tooltip, you don't use
    title. But IE interferes, and says, well, here's a tooltip on alt anyhow,
    nyah hah hah.

    Neal, Oct 4, 2004
  5. Manny Goldman

    Neal, Oct 4, 2004