Displaying a "choose folder" dialog

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by guido_brasletti, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. Hi,
    I'm asking for help because I read dozens of threads on this subject,
    but I still cannot make it work.

    I'm developing an ASP script (running on a SBS 2k. I'm a beginner with
    ASP) to use on our intranet which does searching on our file server
    using Indexing Services.
    To let the users specify the scope (from which file-server folder start
    to search) I need to display on client pc's (Win 2k or Win XP Pro) a
    "choose folder" dialog.

    I tried BrowseForFolder method, in lots of different ways, for example
    (this is a copy and paste from msdn site):
    ------------------------------------
    ssfWINDOWS = 36
    set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    set objFolder = objShell.BrowseForFolder(0, "Example", 0,
    ssfWINDOWS)
    if (not objFolder is nothing) then
    Response.write(objfolder)
    end if
    set objFolder = nothing
    set objShell = nothing
    ------------------------------------

    But the result is always the same: the client gets stuck (progress bar
    running and nothing happens) and after a while the server stops
    responding to all asp requests.

    How can I do that (let the user choose a folder on fileserver) using
    this or another tecnique?

    Any help is greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance

    Guido