Displaying a "+" sign

OccasionalFlyer

I'm baffled. I have a program (written in PeopleCode, similar to BASIC) that is creating URLs. There are two functions. The first one writes a URL with no repetition in it. At a few places in the code, I have it insert "+" into a string (technically I'm concatenating string1 | "+" | string2, This produces a URL with a plus sign, +, in the middle, and at least on Firefox and IE 9, it works fine.
I get this at the end of the URL, as I am supposed to do. "&getbooks=display+books"

When I do the same in a much longer URL that has mostly repeated content, and virtually identical code, when I add this to my URL,
"&getbooks=display+books" I get "&getbooks=display books".
When I code this,
"&getbooks=display+books", I get "&getbooks=display books".

I don't know why the two lines don't produce the same thing, but no matter.What I need is a way to force a plus sign, +, to show up when the URL is generated, and I can then paste it into a web page. What do I have to do to get what I need? I tried a decode/encode tool, and it decoded it showingthe blanks. So I don't know what to do if the special character code won't work. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ken

robertmilesxyz

[...]

Something that works in some computer languages, so you might try it:

In order to insert a special character, use TWO of them instead of just one.. In other words, try ++ instead of +.

richard

[...]

www.libertybasic.com

This version of BASIC will do exactly what you want without any problems.
I would say that your problem is in how the peoplecode code handles the
operator.
Liberty BASIC simply ignores any character's special properties.
so my output would show "display+books" as intended.

Then again, it could be a browser thing.

Hot-Text

richard said:
www.libertybasic.com

This version of BASIC will do exactly what you want without any problems.
I would say that your problem is in how the peoplecode code handles the
operator.
Liberty BASIC simply ignores any character's special properties.
so my output would show "display+books" as intended.

Then again, it could be a browser thing.

Jukka K. Korpela

This produces a URL with a
plus sign, +, in the middle, and at least on Firefox and IE 9, it
works fine. I get this at the end of the URL, as I am supposed to do.
"&getbooks=display+books"

According to the Internet standard on URLs, the plus sign "+" is a
reserved character. This means:

URI producing applications should percent-encode data octets that
correspond to characters in the reserved set unless these characters
are specifically allowed by the URI scheme to represent data in that
component. If a reserved character is found in a URI component and
no delimiting role is known for that character, then it must be
interpreted as representing the data octet corresponding to that
character's encoding in US-ASCII.

Ref.: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986

The percent-encoded form of "+" (U+002B) is "%2B".
When I do the same in a much longer URL that has mostly repeated
content, and virtually identical code, when I add this to my URL,
"&getbooks=display+books" I get "&getbooks=display books".

You need to describe in more detail what you are doing. Which software
interprets the URLs in which context?

When processing form data from a GET method submission, a "+" in the
query part is normally interpreted as application/x-www-form-urlencoded,
which means that "+" stands for a space.

Hot-Text

OccasionalFlyer said:
I'm baffled. I have a program (written in PeopleCode, similar to BASIC) that is creating URLs. There are two functions. The
first one writes a URL with no repetition in it. At a few places in the code, I have it insert "+" into a string (technically I'm
concatenating string1 | "+" | string2, This produces a URL with a plus sign, +, in the middle, and at least on Firefox and IE 9,
it works fine.
I get this at the end of the URL, as I am supposed to do. "&getbooks=display+books"

&getbooks=display+books"
, "+", "_");
&getbooks=display_books"

A Web Browsers URL written in People_Code
Dam I need to make a Cup of Java on that one

Info:
<
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26239_01...htm#gb7145f3a18c29580_ef90c_1291962450f__7dac >

Converting File Names for Files Uploaded by PutAttachment

Generally, a PeopleCode program that calls PutAttachment will also need to save (for later use) the name of each uploaded file as it
ended up actually being named at the specified storage location. However, the destination file name (which may have been converted
as described in "File Name Considerations") is not passed back to the PutAttachment function.
So,
the only way for your PeopleCode program to ensure
that it is saving the correct name
is to

either avoid using special characters in the destination file name or to simulate the conversion process in something like the
following example:

&ATTACHUSERFILE = Substitute(&ATTACHUSERFILE, " ", "_");
&ATTACHUSERFILE = Substitute(&ATTACHUSERFILE, ";", "_");
&ATTACHUSERFILE = Substitute(&ATTACHUSERFILE, "+", "_");
&ATTACHUSERFILE = Substitute(&ATTACHUSERFILE, "%", "_");
&ATTACHUSERFILE = Substitute(&ATTACHUSERFILE, "&", "_");
&ATTACHUSERFILE = Substitute(&ATTACHUSERFILE, "'", "_");
&ATTACHUSERFILE = Substitute(&ATTACHUSERFILE, "!", "_");
&ATTACHUSERFILE = Substitute(&ATTACHUSERFILE, "@", "_");
&ATTACHUSERFILE = Substitute(&ATTACHUSERFILE, "#", "_");
&ATTACHUSERFILE = Substitute(&ATTACHUSERFILE, "$", "_");

Note. Unlike the PutAttachment function,
the AddAttachment function automatically returns

the converted file name for reference and later use.

For example,
the file name My Resume.doc
is returned through the AddAttachment function as
My_Resume.doc,
with the space converted to an
Underscore.
When I do the same in a much longer URL that has mostly repeated content, and virtually identical code, when I add this to my URL,
"&getbooks=display+books" I get "&getbooks=display books".
When I code this,
"&getbooks=display+books", I get "&getbooks=display books".

then the file-processing system will convert file names into names that are fully ASCII strings

&#43

Browsers written %26%2343
not The +

Browsers see it as %26%2343

%26 = &
%23 = #
43 = 43

That your Error

Attachments with non-ASCII File Names

To successfully upload an attachment from a locale with a file
name in a language that uses a non-ASCII characters,
such as Japanese,
Oracle recommends running your application server in an
environment that supports non-ASCII character languages.

If the storage location for the attachment is an FTP site or an HTTP repository,
Oracle recommends that the storage location also be running in an environment that
supports the same language or locale as the file names used.

The web server (which serves as an intermediary in the transfer of
the file from the browser to the application server and then on to
the storage location) can be running on either an English environment
or a non-ASCII character language environment.

If your environment does not fully support non-ASCII characters,
then the file-processing system will convert file names into names
that are fully ASCII strings.

At upload time,
the new file names will be passed back to
the calling PeopleCode program rather than
the original names of the files
as selected by the end users.

This means that it may be more difficult
for an end user to later identify the renamed file
for further processing,
such as selecting and viewing the file.