Displaying a SWF at it's original size without setting the dimensions

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Laphan, Dec 29, 2004.

  1. Laphan

    Laphan Guest

    Hi All

    This sounds such a simple request, but doesn't seem to work.

    Basically I'm allowing the user to upload their own SWF files to their web
    site via a web browser (ASPupload).

    I don't want to limit the dimensions that they have to use in their SWF
    files so I want to simply extract and display their chosen SWF file without
    specifying the width and height of the file. For some reason IE can't
    handle this and displays a very squashed representation of the SWF, eg my
    code is currently:

    <TABLE CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0>
    <TR><TD ALIGN="CENTER" VALIGN="CENTER">

    <OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
    CODEBASE="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#3,0,0,0">
    <PARAM NAME="SRC" VALUE="skins/<%=mymoviefilename%>">
    <PARAM NAME="LOOP" VALUE="0">
    <EMBED SRC="skins/<%=mymoviefilename%>"
    PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/"
    TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" LOOP=0>
    </EMBED>
    </OBJECT>

    </TD></TR>
    </TABLE>

    If I simply add the exact WIDTH and HEIGHT dims of the SWF file to the
    OBJECT tag then it works fine.

    Unfortunately ASPupload can only extract the height and width dims of JPGs
    and GIFs so I can't even extract and dynamically add the dims at the same
    time either.

    Please note that I have already tried the PARAM="SCALE" VALUE="NOSCALE" and
    this seems to create a cropped version.

    Does anybody know of a way round this?

    Many thanks.

    Rgds

    Laphan

    Laphan, Dec 29, 2004

  2. The only way I could see this relating to ASP at all (ASP doesn't render an
    ActiveX control, HTML does) is to ask the user to also enter dimensions for
    width and height when they upload the file, then you could store that also.
    (Even if you could extract the width and height from the SWF file, that
    might not be the width/height they wish to display it.)

    There is no magic bullet here from ASP that will solve your problem...
    mainly because it isn't an ASP problem.

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Dec 29, 2004

  3. Laphan

    Astra Guest

    Understood Aaron

    Thanks for the feedback anyway.

    All the best.

    Rgds Robbie

    Astra, Dec 30, 2004
  4. Laphan

    Mark Schupp Guest

    You might want to check the flash forums at forums.macromedia.com to see if
    anyone knows how to extract the size from a flash piece.

    --
    --Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Dec 30, 2004