Displaying an Excel spreadsheet

Tim Marsden

Hi

I am a complete ASP novice.
Is it possible to display an Excel spreadsheet in a web page?
Can any input to the sheet be captured and sent back to the server?

Regards
Tim

Curt_C [MVP]

Yes you can display it, as long as the client has Excel installed. Just
redirect/point them to it.
As for editing...that's another story. It's a matter of permissions and
that. I HIGHLY recommend you rethink that.

Tim Marsden

Thanks

Is it possible to display the Excel Workbook, if the user does not have
Excel installed.

Tim

S. Justin Gengo

Tim I've done this by sending a datagrid through with appropriate headers.

Here's some sample code to get you started:

Datagrid1.DataSource = MyDataSet
Datagrid1.DataBind()

Response.Charset = ""
Me.EnableViewState = False

Dim MyStringWriter As New System.IO.StringWriter
Dim MyHtmlTextWriter As New System.Web.UI.HtmlTextWriter(MyStringWriter)

Datagrid1.RenderControl(MyHtmlTextWriter)
Response.Write(MyStringWriter.ToString())

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer