displaying byte values from a directory server

Brandon McCombs

Hello,

I'm developing a custom LDAP client and some attributes for objects can
have byte values while others have string values. Displaying the string
values is easy and working great. I'm working on handling byte values
and having some trouble. I realize that it wouldn't make sense to see
the string representation of certain byte values (such as a jpeg that
someone has loaded under their jpegPhoto attribute) but for some testing
purposes I wanted to at least be able to get the string representation
of the userPassword attribute.

What I'm doing may not be possible but so far every time I try to get
the string representation I always get a memory address displayed in the
textfield where the password should be shown. I'm guessing the address
is the address of the byte array that I'm using but when I pass that
into a String() constructor I still get a memory address.

This is the relevant code:
if ( ((String)oneAttribAndVals.get(0)).equals("userPassword") ) {
byte[] field = ((String)oneAttribAndVals.get(j)).getBytes();
newField = new myJTextField(new String(field), 30);
}
else
newField = new myJTextField((String)oneAttribAndVals.get(j),30);

I'm using a nested Vector to hold the attributes and their values since
I never know how many attributes/values any particular object will have
defined for it. The vector oneAttribAndVals shown above (which is later
stored in the bigger vector) however contains just one attribute with
its name at index 0 and subsequent elements are the actual values so
get(1) would return the first value. For the userPassword attribute
there would only be one attribute. The full code dynamically creates
JTextFields for each value for all attributes by looping thru the
attribute set.

Any ideas if this is possible? If so I must be getting the value of the
field too late and ending up with the memory address as a result.

thanks
Brandon