Displaying datagrids

Jon

Hi,
suspect there might not be a good answer to this one. Using vb.net I have a
page like this
some text
datagrid
repeater

Now the repeater is populated from a simple query that takes no time to
execute but the datagrid relies on some processing that takes around 15-20
seconds. Is there any way to get the repeater onto the screen while the grid
is processing (along with some kind of "please wait" message) and then show
the grid when it's ready. The best I have so far is to load up the repeater
and then in body onload redirect to the same page and show the grid - this
works but it's messy. Any way to do this without reloading the page? If it
helps to see what I'm talking about here's a sample link
http://www.bookhead.co.uk/0672324768

Cheers,
Jon

Guest

Hey Jon,
A couple ideas:
(A Perhaps you could use frames, and have the Datagrid in the frame and the Repeater in the main page. The repeater loads instantly, and then the frame can load independtly. You could put a Body onload message box in the framed-page to alert the user.

(B) 15 seconds to process a single datagrid is really long to a user, and may kill your performance if multiple users are all trying to access that grid. Perhaps you could reduce the time it takes to generate that grid by (1) Batch processing, (2) cache (if it's the same data), (3) streamline the Stored Procedure, (4) check if your database is okay, or (5) not bring back the entire datagrid.

Tim Stall
----- Jon wrote: -----

[...]

Hi Tim,
hadn't thought of frames - I'll do some experimenting.

The site does book price comparison - I use webclient to pull price and
stock data from several online retailers - this is what takes the time. At
present I cache the results in sql server for 8 hours so any 2 people
looking for the same book within 8 hours of each other will get results
instantly, for popular books 9 times out of 10 results will come from cache.
I can't cache the results for any longer becuase they may go out of date

Thanks for your help

Jon