Displaying image data from SQL...single/multipart tiff

CD

An application is logging faxes sent in SQL2000 image column type. I have
found code on the net but what it is doing is prompting to save to local
which is fine for single page image. Not good for multiple page faxes. I
have not been able to locate an example to load in the browser or how to
handle multiple image in the one column.

1) Ideally it would be nice to display back in the browser since some may be
multiple images. I am not a programmer but any help is appreciated..

<%
Dim strAttachID
strAttachID = Request.QueryString("AttachID")

Dim objConn, objRS, strSQL

adoconnectstr = "Driver={SQL
Server};database=faxmakerarchive;Server=XXXX;uid=XXXX;pwd=XXX;CommandTimeout
= 180"
set objCon = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
set objRec = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

objCon.Open adoconnectstr
strSQL = "SELECT attdata FROM fm_faxout_att WHERE ID ='" & strAttachID &
"'"
objrec.Open strSQL, objCon

Response.ContentType = "image/tiff"
'Response.ContentType = "application/pdf"

Response.BinaryWrite objrec("attdata")

objrec.Close
Set objrec = Nothing
objCon.Close
Set objCon = Nothing
%>

TIA!!

Mark J. McGinty

CD said:
An application is logging faxes sent in SQL2000 image column type. I have
found code on the net but what it is doing is prompting to save to local
which is fine for single page image. Not good for multiple page faxes. I
have not been able to locate an example to load in the browser or how to
handle multiple image in the one column.

1) Ideally it would be nice to display back in the browser since some may
be multiple images. I am not a programmer but any help is appreciated..

<%
Dim strAttachID
strAttachID = Request.QueryString("AttachID")

Dim objConn, objRS, strSQL

adoconnectstr = "Driver={SQL
Server};database=faxmakerarchive;Server=XXXX;uid=XXXX;pwd=XXX;CommandTimeout
= 180"

First, you should use the OLEDB provider instead of ODBC. (Use
"Provider=SQLOLEDB;" in place of "Driver=...")

set objCon = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
set objRec = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

objCon.Open adoconnectstr
strSQL = "SELECT attdata FROM fm_faxout_att WHERE ID ='" & strAttachID &
"'"
objrec.Open strSQL, objCon

Response.ContentType = "image/tiff"
'Response.ContentType = "application/pdf"

Response.BinaryWrite objrec("attdata")

Does that work? I use this:

Set s = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")
s.Mode = 3
s.Type = 1
s.Open

// write the contents of the blob field to the stream
s.Write objrec("attdata").Value
s.Position = 0

Response.ContentType = "image/tiff"
Response.BinaryWrite s.Read()

You can reuse the stream, just close it and open it again to clear it.

As for multiple images in the same blob, that's a tough one... when you save
a multi-page blob to file, can the file be opened in a normal image viewer?
Maybe it's a single image that spans multiple logical pages? If not, and
multiple image file structures are written to the field back-to-back, you'll
have to separate the images by searching for the file header, signature, or
some other unique feature with which the start of each image might be
located. (It would be much easier to write each image to a different row,
and associate those rows that go together, if you have any control over that
end.)

Given you're able to get valid images out of it, one approach to displaying
multiple pages would be to generate an HTML document with multiple image
tags, one for each page.

-Mark

CD

yes the above works. That is what i am guessing the application is placing
multi image in one row.

thanks for the reply