Displaying image data from SQL...single/multipart tiff

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by CD, Jul 7, 2006.

  1. CD

    CD Guest

    An application is logging faxes sent in SQL2000 image column type. I have
    found code on the net but what it is doing is prompting to save to local
    which is fine for single page image. Not good for multiple page faxes. I
    have not been able to locate an example to load in the browser or how to
    handle multiple image in the one column.

    1) Ideally it would be nice to display back in the browser since some may be
    multiple images. I am not a programmer but any help is appreciated..

    <%
    Dim strAttachID
    strAttachID = Request.QueryString("AttachID")

    Dim objConn, objRS, strSQL

    adoconnectstr = "Driver={SQL
    Server};database=faxmakerarchive;Server=XXXX;uid=XXXX;pwd=XXX;CommandTimeout
    = 180"
    set objCon = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    set objRec = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

    objCon.Open adoconnectstr
    strSQL = "SELECT attdata FROM fm_faxout_att WHERE ID ='" & strAttachID &
    "'"
    objrec.Open strSQL, objCon

    Response.ContentType = "image/tiff"
    'Response.ContentType = "application/pdf"

    Response.BinaryWrite objrec("attdata")

    objrec.Close
    Set objrec = Nothing
    objCon.Close
    Set objCon = Nothing
    %>

    TIA!!
    CD, Jul 7, 2006

  2. "CD" <> wrote in message
    > An application is logging faxes sent in SQL2000 image column type. I have
    > found code on the net but what it is doing is prompting to save to local
    > which is fine for single page image. Not good for multiple page faxes. I
    > have not been able to locate an example to load in the browser or how to
    > handle multiple image in the one column.
    >
    > 1) Ideally it would be nice to display back in the browser since some may
    > be multiple images. I am not a programmer but any help is appreciated..
    >
    > <%
    > Dim strAttachID
    > strAttachID = Request.QueryString("AttachID")
    >
    > Dim objConn, objRS, strSQL
    >
    > adoconnectstr = "Driver={SQL
    > Server};database=faxmakerarchive;Server=XXXX;uid=XXXX;pwd=XXX;CommandTimeout
    > = 180"

    First, you should use the OLEDB provider instead of ODBC. (Use
    "Provider=SQLOLEDB;" in place of "Driver=...")

    > set objCon = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > set objRec = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    >
    > objCon.Open adoconnectstr
    > strSQL = "SELECT attdata FROM fm_faxout_att WHERE ID ='" & strAttachID &
    > "'"
    > objrec.Open strSQL, objCon
    >
    > Response.ContentType = "image/tiff"
    > 'Response.ContentType = "application/pdf"
    >
    > Response.BinaryWrite objrec("attdata")

    Does that work? I use this:

    Set s = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")
    s.Mode = 3
    s.Type = 1
    s.Open

    // write the contents of the blob field to the stream
    s.Write objrec("attdata").Value
    s.Position = 0

    Response.ContentType = "image/tiff"
    Response.BinaryWrite s.Read()

    You can reuse the stream, just close it and open it again to clear it.

    As for multiple images in the same blob, that's a tough one... when you save
    a multi-page blob to file, can the file be opened in a normal image viewer?
    Maybe it's a single image that spans multiple logical pages? If not, and
    multiple image file structures are written to the field back-to-back, you'll
    have to separate the images by searching for the file header, signature, or
    some other unique feature with which the start of each image might be
    located. (It would be much easier to write each image to a different row,
    and associate those rows that go together, if you have any control over that
    end.)

    Given you're able to get valid images out of it, one approach to displaying
    multiple pages would be to generate an HTML document with multiple image
    tags, one for each page.

    -Mark

    Mark J. McGinty, Jul 9, 2006

  3. CD

    CD Guest

    yes the above works. That is what i am guessing the application is placing
    multi image in one row.

    thanks for the reply

    CD, Jul 10, 2006
  4. CD