Displaying RSS feeds to my web page

Shabam

I see many RSS feeds around the net. How do I display these feeds to my web
page?

brucie

Thanks for the links, but they don't really tell me how to get various RSS
feeds on to my site, just some general intros about what RSS is.

i read it as you wanting to create your own feeds. don't worry i shall
suitably punish myself for getting it wrong. whips and chains sounds good.
i can supply pics if you like.

i can only suggest you visit the sites that supply the feed you want and
follow their instructions on how to add them to your site.

Travis Newbury

Shabam said:
I see many RSS feeds around the net. How do I display these feeds to my web
page?

I link maybe? Or go to their site and see how they tell you to do it.

dingbat

Shabam said:
I see many RSS feeds around the net. How do I display these feeds to my web
page?

Several ways:

- You find yourself some server-side scripting that offers XSLT
transforms (PHP is adequate), then you build a site that's all
dynamically generated (it might not change much, but each page is
passed through a script on demand). Then you change the page generator
code a little to include the RSS content, transformed into HTML by some
XSLT. This is a lot of work, a great deal of work to do reliably.

- You find some server-side scripting and some SSI (server-side
includes). A cron job on the server rebuilds the RSS into HTML (again
by XSLT) and stores the regularly-rebuilt but otherwise static HTML
fragment. This is probably best, for most purposes.

- If you don't have server side tools, then turn the RSS into HTML by
some means and include it onto the page through an <iframe>. You can
even do this with someone else's server, such as a news service that
hosts the transform for you.

- You ignore it. There's really not much benefit to offering an RSS
newsfeed on your pages unless you're quite a serious site. This means
that your pages are already updated on a "news worthy" timescale and
you already have users calling in regularly. There's no point in adding
news to a page where your content is months old and no-one is likely to
be re-reading it. If I _want_ to read the BBC news, Ill go to their
feeds directly, not via your page. Don't expect that adding news to
your site will make your site in any way better, unless there's a
really good synergy between the news and the site content and I'm not
already reading that same news elsewhere.

Do NOT rely on client-side XSLT.