Displays garbage when surfed

Discussion in 'HTML' started by HarveyP, Nov 29, 2005.

  1. HarveyP

    HarveyP Guest

    I have recently upgraded to ADSL, and XP (The first was definitely a
    good idea)
    When I browse my web site it turns up garbage. I sthis because ADSL is
    downloading it too fast - is that possible? Is there a tag to improve
    display?

    Opera 8.51 superb no probs very fast display
    IE 6sp2 No probs
    Firefox 1.0.7 The bottom half of the pages garbled
    Mozilla 1.7.12 99% of page garbled

    If it was just me, I'd use Opera. But I want all of my site visitors to
    have a nice visit - first impressions count! It is a B&B site.

    Any help out there?

    BTW the site is
    http://www.pearblossomhouse.com/pearblossom/documents/sitemap.html
    You could use the index at root, but that's where I keep my counter, and
    I'd rather it counted visitors ...
    Thanks.
    HarveyP, Nov 29, 2005

  2. HarveyP wrote:
    > I have recently upgraded to ADSL, and XP (The first was definitely a
    > good idea)
    > When I browse my web site it turns up garbage. I sthis because ADSL is
    > downloading it too fast - is that possible? Is there a tag to improve
    > display?
    >
    > Opera 8.51 superb no probs very fast display
    > IE 6sp2 No probs
    > Firefox 1.0.7 The bottom half of the pages garbled
    > Mozilla 1.7.12 99% of page garbled
    >
    > If it was just me, I'd use Opera. But I want all of my site visitors to
    > have a nice visit - first impressions count! It is a B&B site.
    >
    > Any help out there?
    >
    > BTW the site is
    > http://www.pearblossomhouse.com/pearblossom/documents/sitemap.html
    > You could use the index at root, but that's where I keep my counter, and
    > I'd rather it counted visitors ...
    > Thanks.

    Looks the same to me, Moz 1.7.12 FF 1.0.7 & IE 6.01 on Win2K

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 29, 2005

  3. HarveyP

    kchayka Guest

    HarveyP wrote:

    > Mozilla 1.7.12 99% of page garbled
    >
    > http://www.pearblossomhouse.com/pearblossom/documents/sitemap.html

    A recent mozilla nightly build doesn't display anything except an error:
    "The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an
    invalid or unsupported form of compression. Please contact the website
    owners to inform them of this problem."

    moz 1.7.11 shows the garbled mess. The about:cache entry for the page
    says it's supposed to be gzipped. I know for a fact that moz usually
    handles gzipped files fine, so there is probably something odd or
    unusual on your end.

    Are you using Apache's mod_gzip, or are you gzipping the files yourself?

    kchayka, Nov 30, 2005
  4. HarveyP

    HarveyP Guest

    Oo er missus ... I'm hosted on Supanames (Apache) - do they gzip? I
    don't. How do you read the about:cache ?

    HarveyP, Nov 30, 2005
  5. HarveyP

    kchayka Guest

    HarveyP wrote:

    > kchayka wrote:
    >
    >>HarveyP wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://www.pearblossomhouse.com/pearblossom/documents/sitemap.html

    >>moz 1.7.11 shows the garbled mess. The about:cache entry for the page
    >>says it's supposed to be gzipped.
    >>
    >>Are you using Apache's mod_gzip, or are you gzipping the files yourself?
    >>

    > Oo er missus ... I'm hosted on Supanames (Apache) - do they gzip?

    The home page of supanames.com is definitely gzipped. moz displays it
    just fine, too. But just because their site is gzipped doesn't mean
    yours automatically is, too. You should contact them about it.

    > How do you read the about:cache ?

    In moz/FF type about:cache in the browser location bar. List disk
    entries and find the entry for the page or file in question. Click on
    the link to the file and it will show more info, including response
    headers. They will show if it is gzip encoded.

    If you have the web developer toolbar installed, you can get these
    response headers from the 'information' menu.

    BTW, in the future please don't top-post:
    <URL:http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?How_to_post>

    kchayka, Dec 1, 2005
  6. HarveyP

    HarveyP Guest

    kchayka wrote:

    >HarveyP wrote:
    >

    >>kchayka wrote:

    >>>moz 1.7.11 shows the garbled mess. The about:cache entry for the page
    >>>says it's supposed to be gzipped.
    >>>
    >>>Are you using Apache's mod_gzip, or are you gzipping the files yourself?
    >>>

    >>Oo er missus ... I'm hosted on Supanames (Apache) - do they gzip?
    >>

    >The home page of supanames.com is definitely gzipped. moz displays it
    >just fine, too. But just because their site is gzipped doesn't mean
    >yours automatically is, too. You should contact them about it.
    >

    >>How do you read the about:cache ?
    >>

    >In moz/FF type about:cache in the browser location bar. List disk
    >entries and find the entry for the page or file in question. Click on
    >the link to the file and it will show more info, including response
    >headers. They will show if it is gzip encoded.
    >
    >If you have the web developer toolbar installed, you can get these
    >response headers from the 'information' menu.
    >
    >BTW, in the future please don't top-post:
    ><URL:http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?How_to_post>

    I've chnaged my settings ...

    Even if Supanames does gzip my site, how can I get my Mozilla, and more
    importantly, my potential visitors' Mozilla to see it properly? Is it
    just a question of asking them to "stop it!" ?

    PS have you got a URL for the web developer toolbar?
    HarveyP, Dec 1, 2005
  7. HarveyP

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Dec 1, 2005
  8. HarveyP

    kchayka Guest

    HarveyP wrote:

    > Even if Supanames does gzip my site, how can I get my Mozilla, and more
    > importantly, my potential visitors' Mozilla to see it properly? Is it
    > just a question of asking them to "stop it!" ?

    I don't know. You have to ask them about it.

    kchayka, Dec 2, 2005