    different target and I need to keep the current sessionId in this link.
    Does anyone know how to do it ?

    Thanks !
    helene.bh, Dec 19, 2006

  2. helene.bh wrote:
    > I need to put a link in a displaytag column but I want to specify a
    > different target ...

    Are you referring to an HTML target?
    An URL that pops up in a new window, or within a
    particular frame? If so, note that targets have been
    deprecated in HTML 4, for good reason.

    If that is the case, and this is an internet based
    web-app. (as opposed to a site served across an
    intranet/WAN to a group of machines that can be
    controlled), I will warn that the use of targets will
    lead to a much higher maintenance cost (or 'lost
    sales', which is far worse).

    I strongly recommend the app. be redesigned
    to *not* require a target, and instead follow the
    linear flow for which web-pages were originally
    designed.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Dec 19, 2006

  3. helene.bh

    helene.bh Guest

    I am not a big fan of using frames but I don't have a choice, this is
    my company's application, and we can't afford redesigning it. So I have
    to deal with it :(
    helene.bh, Dec 19, 2006
  4. helene.bh wrote:
    > I am not a big fan of using frames but I don't have a choice, this is
    > my company's application,

    Yes, but is this frames based web-application for
    internal company PC's (controlled by the company)
    or internet - on PC's available to the general public?
    I am still not clear on that.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Dec 19, 2006
  5. helene.bh

    helene.bh Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > helene.bh wrote:
    > > I am not a big fan of using frames but I don't have a choice, this is
    > > my company's application,

    > Yes, but is this frames based web-application for
    > internal company PC's (controlled by the company)
    > or internet - on PC's available to the general public?
    > I am still not clear on that.
    >
    > Andrew T.

    This is on PC's available to the general public.
    helene.bh, Dec 20, 2006
  6. helene.bh wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > helene.bh wrote:
    > > > I am not a big fan of using frames but I don't have a choice, this is
    > > > my company's application,

    > > Yes, but is this frames based web-application for
    > > internal company PC's (controlled by the company)
    > > or internet - on PC's available to the general public?
    > > I am still not clear on that.

    > This is on PC's available to the general public.

    Thanks for confirming. I trimmed everything else
    you put because I wanted an answer to that simple
    question.

    Now, coming back to something you said, that
    inspired me to *ask* that question.

    > .., this is my company's application, and we
    > can't afford redesigning it.

    Can they afford to lose the business?
    Do they even have any idea just how much business
    they *are* losing?

    Note that if the 'contact' page is also 'target'ed page,
    those people for whom targetted links or frames, or
    a browser that will not pass sessiond ID's between
    frames.., will also not be able to report a problem with
    the site, and they will simply buy from your competitors.

    I suspect your employers have their heads 'stuck
    in the sand', and unless you can awaken them to
    the actual business *cost* of attempting to deliver
    a frames based web-app., you might soon be looking
    for a new job (with some employer that has *not*
    gone into liquidation).

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Dec 20, 2006
  7. helene.bh

    helene.bh Guest

    I'm sorry but I did not ask for an opinion about my company but "how to
    specify a different target in a displaytag url". If there is no
    solution, fine I'll find another way to do it.
    But really, don't loose your time by spiting on others, and mind your
    own business.

    Thank you though for trying to help me at first.

    helene.bh, Dec 21, 2006
  8. helene.bh

    Lew Guest

    Please don't top post.

    helene.bh wrote:
    > I'm sorry but I did not ask for an opinion about my company but "how to
    > specify a different target in a displaytag url". If there is no
    > solution, fine I'll find another way to do it.
    > But really, don't loose your time by spiting on others, and mind your
    > own business.

    Now, now, Helene. Mr. Thompson was making a valid point - that management may
    well be ignoring or unaware (meaning of the idiom "heads stuck in the sand')
    of the true costs of their decision. This seems like a grounded assessment
    based on the information you provided.

    Instead of getting your dander up, perhaps you should become an advocate for
    lower-cost and higher-quality architectures at your firm. One could even argue
    that it is your fiduciary responsibility to do so, and not "hide your head in
    the sand" about sub-optimal decisions.

    - Lew
    Lew, Dec 21, 2006