dissapering text in div tag problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Michael Hughes, Jul 1, 2004.

  1. Michael Hughes, Jul 1, 2004

  2. Michael Hughes

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Michael Hughes wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm develping this page:-
    >
    > http://www.arrowservice.co.uk/dev/shop/products.php?cID=8&sub=10
    >
    > And sometimes in IE, (esp if you roll over the navigation)
    > the main pragraph of text (about badgers) disppears, but only
    > in IE. It's well annoying, does anyone out there know why?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Michael Hughes.
    > ----------------
    > www.mfhughes.com

    It's your imagination. IE is perfect. At least according to one of the
    forums I'm in, IE has no bugs, and all other browsers are crap. Oh yes
    they are.

    *rolls her eyes*

    Looking at ur page now...

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jul 1, 2004

  3. Michael Hughes

    Deryck Guest

    "Michael Hughes" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm develping this page:-
    >
    > http://www.arrowservice.co.uk/dev/shop/products.php?cID=8&sub=10
    >
    > And sometimes in IE, (esp if you roll over the navigation)
    > the main pragraph of text (about badgers) disppears, but only
    > in IE. It's well annoying, does anyone out there know why?

    I'm not sure that I see what you describe but when I resize in IE I can lose
    part, then all, of the smaller text next to badger-logo. This can affect the
    main text above it if I resize enough. Is it a consequence of the float of
    the margin style settings for the logo?

    Deryck

    Deryck, Jul 1, 2004
  4. Michael Hughes

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm develping this page:-
    >
    > http://www.arrowservice.co.uk/dev/shop/products.php?cID=8&sub=10
    >
    > And sometimes in IE, (esp if you roll over the navigation)
    > the main pragraph of text (about badgers) disppears, but only
    > in IE. It's well annoying, does anyone out there know why?

    Probably not relevant but you have:

    fascinating to study. As with many other mammals, changes to our countryside
    have forced more badgers to seek food and shelter within our gardens.Worms
    are their food of choice and the supply (or otherwise) of these plays a big
    part in a badger colony's decision to set up home somewhere. If you want to
    encourage them into your garden, feeding them our specially formulated
    supplement will help in areas where worm numbers are insufficient.Try to
    feed every night near the badger's sett or at their normal foraging area,
    though try not to overfeed as leftover food will go off quickly and can also
    give away the location of the sett.</p>
    enjoyable, it is a criminal offence to disturb badgers or to damage, destroy
    or obstruct their setts.</p>

    In the code (<p><p>)

    Deryck

    Deryck, Jul 1, 2004
  5. Michael Hughes

    rf Guest

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm develping this page:-
    >
    > http://www.arrowservice.co.uk/dev/shop/products.php?cID=8&sub=10
    >
    > And sometimes in IE, (esp if you roll over the navigation)
    > the main pragraph of text (about badgers) disppears, but only
    > in IE. It's well annoying, does anyone out there know why?

    This is a known bug, part of the malformed float hanling in IE.

    But, I can't remember the solution. We hashed this out quite well here about
    a couple of years ago, check groups.google. IIRC somebody also pasted
    something into http://allmyfaqs.com

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 1, 2004
  6. Michael Hughes

    rf Guest

    Deryck wrote

    > Probably not relevant but you have:

    more
    > fascinating to study. As with many other mammals, changes to our

    countryside
    > have forced more badgers to seek food and shelter within our gardens.Worms
    > are their food of choice and the supply (or otherwise) of these plays a

    big
    > part in a badger colony's decision to set up home somewhere. If you want

    > encourage them into your garden, feeding them our specially formulated
    > supplement will help in areas where worm numbers are insufficient.Try to
    > feed every night near the badger's sett or at their normal foraging area,
    > though try not to overfeed as leftover food will go off quickly and can

    also
    > give away the location of the sett.</p>
    > enjoyable, it is a criminal offence to disturb badgers or to damage,

    destroy
    > or obstruct their setts.</p>
    >
    > In the code (<p><p>)
    >

    > Deryck

    er, and what is your point in quoting all of that?

    We are dealing with HTML here and <p><p> is quite legal as the
    specifications state that the closing tag for the paragraph element is
    optional.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 1, 2004
  7. Michael Hughes

    Deryck Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in message

    > er, and what is your point in quoting all of that?

    None really, with hindsight I would have included less of the HTML.

    > We are dealing with HTML here and <p><p> is quite legal as the
    > specifications state that the closing tag for the paragraph element is
    > optional.

    Thank you. I guess I learnt something then.

    Cheers,

    Deryck

    Deryck, Jul 1, 2004
  8. Michael Hughes

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Andy Dingley, Jul 1, 2004
  9. Michael Hughes

    Deryck Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in message

    > We are dealing with HTML here and <p><p> is quite legal as the
    > specifications state that the closing tag for the paragraph element is
    > optional.

    Then am I misunderstanding the (35th of 114) errors thrown up by the
    validator? The DOCTYPE for this page is XHTML 1.0 Transitional BTW, not HTML
    (sorry, misread the post first time I replied to it).

    Deryck

    Deryck, Jul 1, 2004
  10. Michael Hughes

    Mitja Guest

    Deryck <>
    (news:) wrote:
    > "rf" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> We are dealing with HTML here and <p><p> is quite legal as the
    >> specifications state that the closing tag for the paragraph element
    >> is optional.
    >>

    > Then am I misunderstanding the (35th of 114) errors thrown up by the
    > validator? The DOCTYPE for this page is XHTML 1.0 Transitional BTW,
    > not HTML (sorry, misread the post first time I replied to it).

    35th error at the time of this writing is "reference not terminated by REFC
    delimiter" and refers to an unescaped amperstand in an URL.
    Things must have changed since your last post, but I'm pretty sure you were
    right. Richard must have assumed HTML 4.01 (same as I did, initially) -
    under XHTML, closing the tags, even <p>, is a must-do.

    Mitja, Jul 1, 2004
  11. Michael Hughes

    Neal Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 11:52:55 GMT, rf <> wrote:

    > Deryck wrote

    > more
    >> fascinating to study. As with many other mammals, changes to our

    > countryside
    >> have forced more badgers to seek food and shelter within our
    >> gardens.......

    > er, and what is your point in quoting all of that?

    We don't need no stinking badgers!

    /weird al

    Neal, Jul 1, 2004
  12. Michael Hughes

    PeterMcC Guest

    Neal wrote in
    <>

    > On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 11:52:55 GMT, rf <> wrote:
    >
    >> Deryck wrote
    >>> the more fascinating to study. As with many other mammals, changes
    >>> to our countryside have forced more badgers to seek food and
    >>> shelter within our gardens.......

    >> er, and what is your point in quoting all of that?

    > We don't need no stinking badgers!

    It's all well and good saying that now - the casualty list is growing: Ron
    Davies, David Archer...

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Jul 1, 2004
  13. Michael Hughes

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 17:49:26 +0100, "PeterMcC" <>
    wrote:

    >It's all well and good saying that now - the casualty list is growing: Ron
    >Davies, David Archer...

    The badgers shot Greg too, but made it look like suicide.

    Andy Dingley, Jul 2, 2004
  14. Michael Hughes

    Neal Guest

    On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 00:41:13 +0100, Andy Dingley <>
    wrote:

    > On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 17:49:26 +0100, "PeterMcC" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> It's all well and good saying that now - the casualty list is growing:
    >> Ron
    >> Davies, David Archer...

    > The badgers shot Greg too, but made it look like suicide.

    Wow, that all just zoomed over my head...

    Neal, Jul 2, 2004
  15. Michael Hughes

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 22:11:07 -0400, Neal <> declared in
    alt.html:

    > Wow, that all just zoomed over my head...

    You're not the only one. But if you think this is bad, you should see
    some of the discussions in aww. :)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au