distribute python script

codecraig

i want to distribute my python script as an executable. I have tried
py2exe but it caused a problem in my script when I ran it. I know
about Gordon McMillans Installer (which is no longer hosted)..but i
tried that and when i run the .exe it generated, it just crashes (i.e.
Windows wants to send an error report). Pyco is gone as well.

anyone?

Larry Bates

py2exe works just fine, but you didn't give enough information for us
to help you. Thomas Heller (maintainer of py2exe) monitors this list.
So post some more information of what "...caused a problem in my
script..." means and we will all try to help.

Larry Bates

Thomas Heller

codecraig said:
sure....i posted another thread eariler, which explains much more
related to py2exe..check that out and let me know if that helps.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/4071921987be308d

I'm monitoring this group, but I hope you understand the I cannot spend
too much time to debug each problem reported.

A very common problem with py2exe has to do with encodings (google for
"EncodingsAgain", and you will find a wiki page explaining this), but
this is pure speculation.

Thomas

codecraig

Thanks so much Thomas!!! I added encodings to my setup's...here it is

setup(console=[{"script": 'monkey_shell.py'}], options={"py2exe":
{"packages": ["encodings"]}})

and i did the same for the other python script.

Thanks!!

Thomas Heller

codecraig said:
Thanks so much Thomas!!! I added encodings to my setup's...here it is

setup(console=[{"script": 'monkey_shell.py'}], options={"py2exe":
{"packages": ["encodings"]}})

and i did the same for the other python script.

Thanks!!

Cool. The next py2exe version will include the encodings automatically,
unless this is overridden with the '-a' or '--ascii' command line
option.

Thomas