    client-server application or internet application as distributed application?
    For example, J2EE applications such as JSP, EJB applications?

    please advise. thanks!!

    Matt, Jul 29, 2004

  2. Matt

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 28 Jul 2004 22:08:02 -0700, (Matt) wrote or
    quoted :

    >I am confused with the definition of distributed application.

    It is when the calculation is spread over several computers. Using a
    browser does not count as calculation; running an Applet would.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jul 29, 2004

  3. Matt wrote:

    > I am confused with the definition of distributed application. Do we consider
    > client-server application or internet application as distributed application?

    There is no standard definition. Personally, I'd say that yes, all of those
    are distributed applications, because you have to spend thought and effort
    on things that only arise because different parts of the program run on
    different computers.

    Even in a "simple" web application you have to take care of issues such as
    multiple submits of forms.

    > For example, J2EE applications such as JSP, EJB applications?

    One of the main advantages of EJB is that it makes it relatively easy to
    move to a clustered solution - and then it's a distributed application by
    even the most restrictive definition.

    Michael Borgwardt, Jul 29, 2004