    Any votes or ideas on a distributed application?

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Steven Green, Oct 24, 2003

  2. Steven Green

    MSeries Guest

    Steven Green wrote:
    > I am about to start seriously digging into J2EE and want ideas for a
    > EJB application. I want to do something to learn J2EE and may also be
    > useful to others when it is done. I am considering doing a timekeeping
    > application to track employees time, etc. but I am not sure if there
    > is already a good one out there. I am still open to doing something
    > different.
    >
    > Any votes or ideas on a distributed application?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve

    When I had some spare time I thought about doing a web based flexi time
    application. Employees could key in and key out at their desktop. The app
    would use implement the flexible working rules in the business, producing
    reports for managers on the status of the employees time keeping, who broke
    the rules, how much time has been accrued etc.

    Not sure it is a distributed application and I'm not sure it would warrent
    the use of EJBs. As a technical/traing exercise it has many elements, EJBs,
    web apps (servlets/JSP), email intergration perhaps. You could explore
    alternative data accesses such as JDO/straight JDBC or even sack a RDBMS and
    use prevailer.

    I never got it off the ground as I found work pretty quickly.

    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.

    MSeries, Oct 24, 2003