Distributed Application Ideas?

Steven Green

I am about to start seriously digging into J2EE and want ideas for a EJB
application. I want to do something to learn J2EE and may also be useful
to others when it is done. I am considering doing a timekeeping
application to track employees time, etc. but I am not sure if there is
already a good one out there. I am still open to doing something different.

Any votes or ideas on a distributed application?

Thanks,

Steve

MSeries

Steven said:
I am about to start seriously digging into J2EE and want ideas for a
EJB application. I want to do something to learn J2EE and may also be
useful to others when it is done. I am considering doing a timekeeping
application to track employees time, etc. but I am not sure if there
is already a good one out there. I am still open to doing something
different.

Any votes or ideas on a distributed application?

Thanks,

Steve

When I had some spare time I thought about doing a web based flexi time
application. Employees could key in and key out at their desktop. The app
would use implement the flexible working rules in the business, producing
reports for managers on the status of the employees time keeping, who broke
the rules, how much time has been accrued etc.

Not sure it is a distributed application and I'm not sure it would warrent
the use of EJBs. As a technical/traing exercise it has many elements, EJBs,
web apps (servlets/JSP), email intergration perhaps. You could explore
alternative data accesses such as JDO/straight JDBC or even sack a RDBMS and
use prevailer.

I never got it off the ground as I found work pretty quickly.