Distributed C++ compilation

Discussion in 'C++' started by Dilip, Aug 8, 2008.

  1. Dilip

    Dilip Guest

    Dilip, Aug 8, 2008

  2. Dilip

    Ian Collins Guest

    Dilip wrote:
    > I saw this over at the Google open source blog:
    > http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2008/08/distccs-pump-mode-new-design-for.html
    >
    > 50% improvement in compile time for the Linux kernel seems like a very
    > significant improvement. What percentage of the C++ community will
    > find this useful?

    It looks rather old hat. I've been tweaking distributed build farms for
    over a decade.

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Aug 8, 2008

  3. Dilip

    Rolf Magnus Guest

    Dilip wrote:

    > I saw this over at the Google open source blog:

    http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2008/08/distccs-pump-mode-new-design-for.html

    > 50% improvement in compile time for the Linux kernel seems like a very
    > significant improvement.

    It's not 50% improvement in compile time, but in "build speed". Otherwise,
    the 200% improvement with Samba would be rather impressing (being finished
    before it even started).

    > What percentage of the C++ community will find this useful?

    Considering that I don't have that many servers to push compile jobs to...
    Rolf Magnus, Aug 9, 2008