    Google helped me to found some (like ncache and
    scale-out-state-server), but they are over-priced

    thanks anyway for your time reading that

    ask ksa, Jan 6, 2007

  2. ask ksa wrote:

    > hi,
    > is anybody familiar with production-ready distributed/clustered cache
    > solution for .net ?
    > Google helped me to found some (like ncache and
    > scale-out-state-server), but they are over-priced
    >
    > thanks anyway for your time reading that

    'Distributed' caching is a red-herring: you can't access a remote
    object without some sort of remoting/services layer, which makes the
    whole process rather 'slow' compared to utilizing caching features in
    the RDBMS and re-loading the data: the data transfer protocols for for
    example sqlserver are much more optimal than for example remoting or
    webservices will ever be.

    Add to that that you need security in your cache server, and you have
    a 'solution' which isn't really bringing anything to the table.

    FB

    Lead developer of LLBLGen Pro, the productive O/R mapper for .NET
    LLBLGen Pro website: http://www.llblgen.com
    My .NET blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/fbouma
    Microsoft MVP (C#)

    Frans Bouma [C# MVP], Jan 7, 2007

  3. ask ksa

    ask ksa Guest

    Thanks for replay
    sometimes you just need to save frequently -used some query results in
    cache, that's all
    in open-source word many solution exists for distributed caching :
    memcached, EhCache and many more. they all solve existing problem
    and most of scalable application utilize the use of clustered caching
    (see the flickr architecture for example )

    just wanted to hear about port for .Net
    i agree with you that it always be more slow than database
    but when you db run on 100% cpu, selective caching can solve the day
    with no price

    Thanks much

    ask ksa, Jan 7, 2007
  4. Frans Bouma [C# MVP] wrote:
    > ask ksa wrote:
    >> is anybody familiar with production-ready distributed/clustered cache
    >> solution for .net ?
    >> Google helped me to found some (like ncache and
    >> scale-out-state-server), but they are over-priced

    > 'Distributed' caching is a red-herring: you can't access a remote
    > object without some sort of remoting/services layer, which makes the
    > whole process rather 'slow' compared to utilizing caching features in
    > the RDBMS and re-loading the data: the data transfer protocols for for
    > example sqlserver are much more optimal than for example remoting or
    > webservices will ever be.

    That argumentation assumes that:
    1) the database server is as cost efficient to scale as the web servers
    2) the cache product only support what they call "partioned" cache
    not what they call "replicated" cache
    3) there are no benefits for cache management by doing it in the
    application that understands the data instead of in the database
    4) there are no benefits from notification

    #1 and #2 are not true.

    #3 and #4 are not true in most cases.

    Arne

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Jan 8, 2007
  5. "ask ksa" <> wrote
    > is anybody familiar with production-ready distributed/clustered cache
    > solution for .net ?

    MemCacheD is something I know has been used by some big sites and people
    have been happy with. I would imagine it would run on Windows if you setup
    CygWin. There's also a Windows port at:
    http://jehiah.cz/projects/memcached-win32/

    There's a .Net API for it at:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/memcacheddotnet/

    --
    Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, MVP C#
    http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins

    Chris Mullins [MVP], Jan 9, 2007
  6. ask ksa

    RYoung Guest

    That's a great explanation, clears up questions I had a couple years ago
    concerning caching data in a singleton remote server.

    Ron

    RYoung, Jan 9, 2007
  7. Hello ask,

    Read this http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-soa-infoserv1/index.html?ca=drs-
    and
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-soa-infoserv2/index.html?ca=drs-

    This tho patterns (Data Federation and Data Consolidation) are the first
    steps and the base of the Distributed Cache.
    BTW, these whitepapers will give u some new patterns for the cache http://www.tangosol.com/white-papers.jsp

    Also read my post there http://laflour.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!7575E2FFC19135B4!561.entry
    about DataGrid (we discuss this point with Nick Malik - MS Enterprise Architect)

    PS: Soon I'll post a UML diagram in my blog describiring the schema of distributed
    cache

    'ak> hi,
    ak> is anybody familiar with production-ready distributed/clustered
    ak> cache
    ak> solution for .net ?
    ak> Google helped me to found some (like ncache and
    ak> scale-out-state-server), but they are over-priced
    ak> thanks anyway for your time reading that
    ak>
    ---
    WBR,
    Michael Nemtsev [C# MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour

    Michael Nemtsev, Jan 9, 2007
  8. ask ksa

    Yevgeniy Guest

    Chris Mullins [MVP] wrote:
    > "ask ksa" <> wrote
    > > is anybody familiar with production-ready distributed/clustered cache
    > > solution for .net ?

    > MemCacheD is something I know has been used by some big sites and people
    > have been happy with. I would imagine it would run on Windows if you setup
    > CygWin. There's also a Windows port at:
    > http://jehiah.cz/projects/memcached-win32/
    >
    > There's a .Net API for it at:
    > https://sourceforge.net/projects/memcacheddotnet/
    >
    > --
    > Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, MVP C#
    > http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins

    Thanks for reply, Chris
    Memcached is really ready-to-go solution for linux,
    the problem is that win32 port is buggy ( and the project home page
    warning about not using it for production )
    anyway, i gave a try for win32 memcached and fixed some bugs myself ,
    but still, sometimes it is just crushes

    I'll try CygWin , not familiar with it and i expect some problems (note
    from CygWin homepage : "Cygwin is not a way to run native linux apps on
    Windows. You have to rebuild your application from source if you want
    it to run on Windows." ), but i still cant find good distributed cache
    solution for .net

    Thanks again
    Yevgeniy

    Yevgeniy, Jan 17, 2007