distributed computing choices

apngss

When an application needs to get information from another machine over
the network, how many distributed computing choices out there?

Here are the choices I know of, classifying by different programming
languages

HTTP (any??)

RPC (C, C++)
..NET (Microsoft)
COM+ (Microsoft)
RMI (Java)
CORBA (any)
EJB (Java)
SOAP (any ??)

MOM (any ??)

I guess HTTP is just the protocol, it should not belong to the
distributed computing choices? For example, we can deliver
SOAP using HTTP, or using JMS? EJB is delivered over HTTP?

Please comment and advise. thanks!!

Alexei A. Frounze

When an application needs to get information from another machine over
the network, how many distributed computing choices out there?
This is OT for comp.lang.c.
Alex

Mark McIntyre

When an application needs to get information from another machine over
the network, how many distributed computing choices out there?

This is offtopic in at least two, possibly three of the groups you
x-posted to. Try comp.programming.

Keith Thompson

Mark McIntyre said:
This is offtopic in at least two, possibly three of the groups you
x-posted to. Try comp.programming.

It seems perfectly topical in comp.distributed. Followups redirected.

steve

When an application needs to get information from another machine over
the network, how many distributed computing choices out there?

Here are the choices I know of, classifying by different programming
languages

HTTP (any??)

RPC (C, C++)
.NET (Microsoft)
COM+ (Microsoft)
RMI (Java)
CORBA (any)
EJB (Java)
SOAP (any ??)

MOM (any ??)

I guess HTTP is just the protocol, it should not belong to the
distributed computing choices? For example, we can deliver
SOAP using HTTP, or using JMS? EJB is delivered over HTTP?

Please comment and advise. thanks!!

check out apples web site, they have a development kit

Scott Ellsworth

steve <[email protected]> said:
check out apples web site, they have a development kit

Apple's kit goes under the name XGrid. It rides on BEEP and HTTP, IIRC.
There is a Java-based xgrid agent, so it appears that you do not need
native code to run jobs.

See <http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/features/xgrid.html> and
<http://developer.apple.com/hardware/hpc/xgrid_intro.html> and
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/09/13/xgrid.html>.

It looks pretty keen, and worked well for some test projects I did. It
rides on top of a number of other technologies, so it does not appear
that they are re-inventing the wheel.

Scott