    SOAP using HTTP, or using JMS? EJB is delivered over HTTP?

    Please comment and advise. thanks!!

    , Sep 27, 2005

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > When an application needs to get information from another machine over
    > the network, how many distributed computing choices out there?

    This is OT for comp.lang.c.
    Alex

    Alexei A. Frounze, Sep 27, 2005

  3. On 27 Sep 2005 12:43:05 -0700, in comp.lang.c ,
    wrote:

    >When an application needs to get information from another machine over
    >the network, how many distributed computing choices out there?

    This is offtopic in at least two, possibly three of the groups you
    x-posted to. Try comp.programming.
    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Sep 27, 2005
  4. Roedy Green Guest

    On 27 Sep 2005 12:43:05 -0700, wrote or quoted :

    >When an application needs to get information from another machine over
    >the network, how many distributed computing choices out there?

    I have a bunch more listed at
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/remotefileaccess.html
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Sep 27, 2005
  5. Mark McIntyre <> writes:
    > On 27 Sep 2005 12:43:05 -0700, in comp.lang.c ,
    > wrote:
    >
    >>When an application needs to get information from another machine over
    >>the network, how many distributed computing choices out there?

    > This is offtopic in at least two, possibly three of the groups you
    > x-posted to. Try comp.programming.

    It seems perfectly topical in comp.distributed. Followups redirected.

    Keith Thompson, Sep 28, 2005
  6. steve Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:43:05 +0800, wrote
    (in article <>):

    > When an application needs to get information from another machine over
    > the network, how many distributed computing choices out there?
    >
    > Here are the choices I know of, classifying by different programming
    > languages
    >
    > HTTP (any??)
    >
    > RPC (C, C++)
    > .NET (Microsoft)
    > COM+ (Microsoft)
    > RMI (Java)
    > CORBA (any)
    > EJB (Java)
    > SOAP (any ??)
    >
    > MOM (any ??)
    >
    > I guess HTTP is just the protocol, it should not belong to the
    > distributed computing choices? For example, we can deliver
    > SOAP using HTTP, or using JMS? EJB is delivered over HTTP?
    >
    > Please comment and advise. thanks!!

    check out apples web site, they have a development kit

    steve, Oct 1, 2005
  7. In article <>, steve <>
    wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:43:05 +0800, wrote
    > (in article <>):
    >
    > > When an application needs to get information from another machine over
    > > the network, how many distributed computing choices out there?
    > >
    > > Here are the choices I know of, classifying by different programming
    > > languages
    > >
    > > HTTP (any??)
    > >
    > > RPC (C, C++)
    > > .NET (Microsoft)
    > > COM+ (Microsoft)
    > > RMI (Java)
    > > CORBA (any)
    > > EJB (Java)
    > > SOAP (any ??)
    > >
    > > MOM (any ??)
    > >
    > > I guess HTTP is just the protocol, it should not belong to the
    > > distributed computing choices? For example, we can deliver
    > > SOAP using HTTP, or using JMS? EJB is delivered over HTTP?
    > >
    > > Please comment and advise. thanks!!
    > >

    > check out apples web site, they have a development kit

    Apple's kit goes under the name XGrid. It rides on BEEP and HTTP, IIRC.
    There is a Java-based xgrid agent, so it appears that you do not need
    native code to run jobs.

    See <http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/features/xgrid.html> and
    <http://developer.apple.com/hardware/hpc/xgrid_intro.html> and
    <http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/09/13/xgrid.html>.

    It looks pretty keen, and worked well for some test projects I did. It
    rides on top of a number of other technologies, so it does not appear
    that they are re-inventing the wheel.

    Scott

    --
    Scott Ellsworth

    Java and database consulting for the life sciences

    Scott Ellsworth, Oct 3, 2005