Distributed Processing Library For Java

bencoe

Gee, thanks for the 1 star rating anonymous jerk, I guess
'comp.lang.java.programmer' is the wrong venue to provide free well
tested Java libraries, that have been used for large university
projects, where do you think would be a better place to post this
maybe 'soc.culture.cuba'?

Any ways, communicating with people on the internet being ridiculously
annoying strikes again,

Ben.

Lew

Please do not top post.

Gee, thanks for the 1 star rating anonymous jerk, I guess

I do not know about this "star rating" thing but I've seen a couple of people
mention it. What is this thing of which you speak?
'comp.lang.java.programmer' is the wrong venue to provide free well
tested Java libraries, that have been used for large university
projects, where do you think would be a better place to post this
maybe 'soc.culture.cuba'?

To whom are you speaking? I certainly have no objection to people posting
information about freely available Java libraries in this group. Perhaps I'm
not alone in this.
Any ways, communicating with people on the internet being ridiculously
annoying strikes again,

I'm not sure that airing your grievance to the entire newsgroup will resolve
the behavior of the person that annoyed you. I do know that newsgroups are
public forums, and any time you deal with the public a significant percentage
of folks will be or behave like assholes. The alternative being agoraphobia,
or social anxiety disorder or a number of similar syndromes, I recommend you
let it roll off unless there is a constructive alternative.

Since I do not know about this "star rating" system, I do not know what
safeguards or fairness guarantees it holds, or what its consequences are.
This newsgroup is a free-speech forum, open to all regardless of popularity or
others' evaluations. From your description, it sounds like AIM's "warn"
system, which I've only ever seen used between colleagues or friends to
intentionally tease one another. It sounds like it shares the flaw in that
system, that it doesn't distinguish between accusation and conviction.

Unlike AIM, these phantasmagorical "stars" have no influence on UseNet.
Perhaps I have a negative-five star rating, perhaps I'm considered the best
poster in the Universe, perhaps no one has even rated my posts - it makes no
never mind to me. I don't see these ratings, they have no intersection with
my reality. I just post away, blithely assuming you reading this will find me
as fascinating as I do. I don't understand why they cause any trouble.

bencoe

[...]

Noted, Lew. As for agoraphobia, or social anxiety disorder, it seems
that this sickness comes up a heck of a lot more often when I'm
posting in forums, than when I'm dealing with people in public. I'd
have to say that it's the anonymous nature of the Internet, more so
than any anxiety disorder that promotes people to act like anonymous
jerks - I'm sorry that I implied that everyone who uses this forum was
a jerk though, this was not my intention.

Ben.

bencoe

I do not know about this "star rating" thing but I've seen a couple of people
Also, whoever is behind this "star rating" system, it's real annoying,
I can't think of anything I want less when I'm using forums than
having everything I say ranked.

FYI, my average rating is 2... at least I can now easily judge how
popular I am.

Ben.

Lew

Also, whoever is behind this "star rating" system, it's real annoying,
I can't think of anything I want less when I'm using forums than
having everything I say ranked.

FYI, my average rating is 2... at least I can now easily judge how
popular I am.

But you haven't answered my question, to which I'll add, "So f*(king what if
you get a particular 'star rating'?"

bencoe

But you haven't answered my question, to which I'll add, "So f*(king what if
you get a particular 'star rating'?"

Lots of people apparently do use methods of posting to Usenet that
display this star rating - for instance I assumed it was standard - so
in answer to your question, I guess I care... it simply does not look
good when I'm trying to put forward something I've put a lot of work
into, and it's suddenly getting panned by a bunch of wannabe
Ebert's... I can't imagine why someone would want to be Ebert.

Ben.

Jeff Higgins

How can I request an star rating RSS feed for this thread
so that I'll how it changes over the next few months?

JH

Lars Enderin

(e-mail address removed) skrev:
Lots of people apparently do use methods of posting to Usenet that
display this star rating - for instance I assumed it was standard - so
in answer to your question, I guess I care... it simply does not look
good when I'm trying to put forward something I've put a lot of work
into, and it's suddenly getting panned by a bunch of wannabe
Ebert's... I can't imagine why someone would want to be Ebert.

It's Google Groups that offers "star ratings", I believe.

bencoe

It's Google Groups that offers "star ratings", I believe.

Stupid Google, maybe they should work on making there search results
slightly more useful again, rather than making me feel self conscious
about myself... On the other hand I do use Google groups - I guess
it's a love hate relationship.

Lew

Stupid Google, maybe they should work on making there search results
slightly more useful again, rather than making me feel self conscious
about myself... On the other hand I do use Google groups - I guess
it's a love hate relationship.

One more point - I do not see your "star rating" nor anyone else's either.
The whole thing is outside my world.

Esmond Pitt

DolphinNetâ„¢ is an easy to use server and distributed processing
library for Javaâ„¢. Like RMI, DolphinNetâ„¢ uses objects to communicate
between a client and server. DolphinNetâ„¢, however, approaches this
task using object serialization over a standard TCP/IP connection...

which is exactly what RMI does ... What are the real points of difference?

bencoe

which is exactly what RMI does ... What are the real points of difference?

RMI uses remote method invocation, if I recall from working with it,
you essentially have stubbed out code on the front-end and the
implementation server-side. DolphinNet delivers a serialized object to
the client, at this point it is executed by the client... The client
doesn't have stubbed out versions of the code, rather the client and
server simply need equivalent copies of the class file. To facilitate
this process the actual objects that get distributed must inherit from
the Assignment class in DolphinNet - which isn't too restrictive since
you can include other objects in your inheriting class. So, to
summarize, the main difference is in the way you actually implement
the server, where with RMI you're creating and filling in matching
stubs, DolphinNet allows your implementation to be much more abstract
on the client end, if you set things up properly the client need not
even know what kinds of processes it is running - this is great for
distributed calculations.

You may be asking yourself at this point how efficient this process
is... It actually has proven fairly efficient from bench-marking I've
done, also I have a simple helper Assignment I include with the
distribution that allows you to Zip the information being transfered
on the fly... which is handy.

Ben.

Roedy Green

Also, whoever is behind this "star rating" system, it's real annoying,
I can't think of anything I want less when I'm using forums than
having everything I say ranked.

It is quite amusing. I get emails every day from sites posting my pad
files describing the various utilities I have written telling me I
have won and award or received x stars. Then they try to hit you up
for extra money to stay listed or to give them a reverse link. So the
star rating is meaningless. It is unlikely they even tested the
program.

Lew

[...]

Sounds like Jini, implemented by such products as Gigaspaces.

Is DolphinNet based on Jini? If not, it should be.

bencoe

Is DolphinNet based on Jini? If not, it should be.

DolphinNet is not based on an architecture as complicated as Jini. In
the background it uses a simple forking server using the Java sockets
library. These socket input and output streams are cast to ObjectInput
and ObjectOutput streams, to facilitate communication via objects. The
main thing it does is abstract this whole process from a user
implementing it - and I've been using it for a couple years so there
was a lot of playing with the packet structure to get it working well
(for instance it originally didn't like the network hop between Rogers
and Sympatico) Any ways, I've got to run and catch a bus now, but I'll
post a minimal program later to give you an idea of what I'm talking
about.

Esmond Pitt

RMI uses remote method invocation

RMI *is* remote method invocation.
DolphinNet delivers a serialized object to
the client, at this point it is executed by the client...

So in other words it's a mobile agent system? You don't need any
framework at all to do that, just Serializable and Runnable and
ObjectInputStream and ObjectOutputStream.

bencoe

RMI *is* remote method invocation.

So in other words it's a mobile agent system? You don't need any
framework at all to do that, just Serializable and Runnable and
ObjectInputStream and ObjectOutputStream.

Yes it encapsulates that process, along with quite a few other things,
threading assignment management, etc.

What's your point? I feel like I'm being grilled.

bencoe

So in other words it's a mobile agent system? You don't need any
framework at all to do that, just Serializable and Runnable and
ObjectInputStream and ObjectOutputStream.

Would you prefer reprogramming the 5000 or so lines of code it takes
to do this task efficiently, each time you wish to add this
functionality to an application? I certainly wouldn't, I'm not trying
to step on anyone's feet... I'm simply putting forward a small useful
library that I have used extensively for research and fun including
making -

- An applet based chat server for a marketing study.
- An applet based poker game for fun.
- A JOGL Applet based MMORPG (in production) for fun.
- Document clustering research (distributed calculation).
- The webcrawler and search engine for my Tomcat based website.

Any ways, maybe we got off on the wrong foot here with my whining
about people giving me a low star rating... but I'm not an idiot.. and
please don't treat me like one.

bencoe

Would you prefer reprogramming the 5000 or so lines of code it takes
to do this task efficiently, each time you wish to add this
functionality to an application? I certainly wouldn't, I'm not trying
to step on anyone's feet... I'm simply putting forward a small useful
library that I have used extensively for research and fun including
making -

- An applet based chatserverfor a marketing study.
- An applet based poker game for fun.
- A JOGL Applet based MMORPG (in production) for fun.
- Document clustering research (distributed calculation).
- The webcrawler and search engine for my Tomcat based website.

Any ways, maybe we got off on the wrong foot here with my whining
about people giving me a low star rating... but I'm not an idiot.. and
please don't treat me like one.

Just an update, I've got DolphinNet up on SourceForge now.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dolphinnet

Man! SourceForge.net is a pain, for us non-linux types... although I
did get the CVS and most other functions I wanted up and running - at
university I do have to use Unix/Linux machines occasionally, but I've
managed to avoid it whenever I can (I'm using a macbook now though, so
I'm slowly but surely getting the hang of it ;)

Ben.