Distributed Ruby/Threads/Rinda?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Enrique Comba Riepenhausen, May 12, 2007.

  1. Hello all,

    Recently (to test my understanding of Ruby) I was rewriting a
    middleware server software of my company that is written in Java
    (J2EE) in Ruby.

    I actually coded the core of the system and think it is pretty neat
    in Ruby (and much cleaner by the way).

    The problem I am facing now, having the core system in Ruby, is the
    API interfaces towards that core. The system is supposed to have a
    layer of different API's so that an application programmer can access
    a service running inside the core. These API layer can be almost
    anything (a telnet session, a http request, a SOAP or XML-RPC
    request, etc, etc, etc).

    In the Java implementation this is solved by having these API's
    "talk" to the core in two ways:
    - using JMS (Java Messaging Service), i.e. packaging an incoming
    message into an JMS message and sending it to an incoming queue so
    that it can be processed. This is used for async processing.
    - directly calling an EJB that will process the incoming message and
    reply with the output of the service run. This is done for snyc
    processing.

    Now my question would be the following:

    How can I implement something like a JMS Queue in Ruby?
    How can I make the core system be a daemon that accepts these
    requests (either by a direct call to some class in the core or by a
    messaging system?

    Thanks a lot for the help in advance!

    Cheers,

    Enrique Comba Riepenhausen
    Enrique Comba Riepenhausen, May 12, 2007