    who wants to use it without worrying about whether they have the right
    DB. How can I build this in? Suggestion? What have you done in the past?

    Thanks!
    Allan Hughes, May 3, 2004

  2. Allan Hughes wrote:
    > I'm a python noob and have a question.
    >
    > I would like to write a little app and then share it with others.
    >
    > It is going to need to store potentially large amounts of data and then
    > generate reports based on that data.
    >
    > I could just write to a DB, but that wouldn't be very portable.

    Define "a DB".

    > I would like a solution that will work 'out of the box' for any old shmo
    > who wants to use it without worrying about whether they have the right
    > DB. How can I build this in? Suggestion? What have you done in the past?

    I've successfully used plain text data files, standard Python pickles,
    and an (py)sqlite embedded database. None of them requires a full-blown
    database engine to be present. PySQLite is also a self-contained package.
    It depends on the amount and structure of your data what the best
    solution will be.

    --Irmen
    Irmen de Jong, May 4, 2004

  3. Allan Hughes

    Allan Hughes Guest

    Irmen de Jong wrote:

    > Allan Hughes wrote:
    >
    >> I'm a python noob and have a question.
    >>
    >> I would like to write a little app and then share it with others.
    >>
    >> It is going to need to store potentially large amounts of data and
    >> then generate reports based on that data.
    >>
    >> I could just write to a DB, but that wouldn't be very portable.

    > Define "a DB".

    MySQL for instance.

    >> I would like a solution that will work 'out of the box' for any old
    >> shmo who wants to use it without worrying about whether they have the
    >> right DB. How can I build this in? Suggestion? What have you done
    >> in the past?

    > I've successfully used plain text data files, standard Python pickles,
    > and an (py)sqlite embedded database. None of them requires a full-blown
    > database engine to be present. PySQLite is also a self-contained package.
    > It depends on the amount and structure of your data what the best
    > solution will be.

    I'm looking to records detailing network status, which will be updated
    frequently. I then want to be able to retrieve and sort the data to
    present reports based on that data.

    PySQLite sounds like it might be a good solution. I have never done any
    kind of distribution of a desktop app before, so maybe this is a dumb
    question. I'm guessing I could use some sort of tool to package the
    python app and PySQLite into one nice tidy package which the end user
    could then install?

    Or something like that...
    Allan Hughes, May 4, 2004
  4. Allan Hughes

    Miki Tebeka Guest

    Hello Allan,

    > I'm looking to records detailing network status, which will be updated
    > frequently. I then want to be able to retrieve and sort the data to
    > present reports based on that data.

    If you want a minimal database try metakit
    (http://www.equi4.com/metakit.html) which has good Python bindings and
    it's only one dll.

    > I'm guessing I could use some sort of tool to package the
    > python app and PySQLite into one nice tidy package which the end user
    > could then install?

    py2exe, cx_Freeze, Installer ...
    IMO py2exe seems to be the most active.

    HTH.