    Any help would be appreciated.

    thanks,
    Ram.
    Ramki, Apr 8, 2004

  2. Ramki

    Eddie Corns Guest

    (Ramki) writes:

    >Hi !!

    >I have written an install script to deploy some of my product rpms.
    >The install script does OS Version Check, OS Memory check, logging the
    >status of install into a log file amongst other things.

    >Now the size of my product rpms is around 3 MB. If I am to distribute
    >Python along with the install, it is taking around 12 MB totally (the
    >python gz tar is around 9 MB), which is not ideal.

    >Is there way I can avoid this by distributing only the bare minimum
    >Python related binary along with my rpms ?

    Many versions of Linux have Python already so it may not be a problem. Maybe
    someone could concoct a Perl script that checks if Python is on the machine
    and if not downloads it from a suitable location (either to a local directory
    or to the system depending on need/access). That way, only people who aren't
    hip enough to have Python installed get penalised!

    Eddie
    Eddie Corns, Apr 8, 2004

  3. Ramki

    Ed Suominen Guest

    One of the beauties of Linux is that you are neither required nor encouraged
    to put together the big, monolithic installation packages that Windows
    typically requires. Most (all?) distributions will include Python and most
    of the modules you'll be needing.

    -Ed Suominen

    Ed Suominen, Apr 8, 2004