    just the .pyc files, so as to not give away the source?

    Thanks,
    - Joe

    Joe Strout, Oct 8, 2008

  2. On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 09:18:47 -0600, Joe Strout wrote:

    > We have a client who's paranoid about distributing the Python source to
    > his commercial app. Is there some way I can distribute and use just the
    > .pyc files, so as to not give away the source?

    Yes. Just use the *.pyc files.

    Ciao,
    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch, Oct 8, 2008

  3. Joe Strout

    Guest

    Marc> On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 09:18:47 -0600, Joe Strout wrote:
    >> We have a client who's paranoid about distributing the Python source
    >> to his commercial app. Is there some way I can distribute and use
    >> just the .pyc files, so as to not give away the source?

    Marc> Yes. Just use the *.pyc files.

    Though of course there is decompyle to consider, assuming Joe's client is
    truly paranoid.

    Skip

    , Oct 8, 2008
  4. On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:59:44 -0500, skip wrote:

    > Marc> On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 09:18:47 -0600, Joe Strout wrote:
    > >> We have a client who's paranoid about distributing the Python
    > >> source to his commercial app. Is there some way I can distribute
    > >> and use just the .pyc files, so as to not give away the source?

    > Marc> Yes. Just use the *.pyc files.
    >
    > Though of course there is decompyle to consider, assuming Joe's client
    > is truly paranoid.

    Simply don't tell the client. All he has to know is that it's basically
    the same as Java *.class files. Most paranoid clients are fine with
    that. Unless you tell them there are decompilers for *.class files. :)

    Ciao,
    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch, Oct 8, 2008
  5. Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch a écrit :

    >> Marc> Yes. Just use the *.pyc files.
    >>
    >> Though of course there is decompyle to consider, assuming Joe's client
    >> is truly paranoid.

    > Simply don't tell the client. All he has to know is that it's basically
    > the same as Java *.class files. Most paranoid clients are fine with
    > that. Unless you tell them there are decompilers for *.class files. :)

    FWIW, even native binary code can be 'disassembled' and hacked.

    Bruno Desthuilliers, Oct 8, 2008
  6. Joe Strout

    Paul Boddie Guest

    On 8 Okt, 23:50, "James Mills" <> wrote:

    > I must point out though that if your client
    > is paranoid for intellectual property reasons
    > (ie: protecting his assets), then you should
    > be aware that even if you can decompile
    > a Python compiled module (or a compiled
    > java class), it's generally pretty useless in this
    > form to any would-be-thief.

    I beg to differ on the usefulness of the decompiled code: Python
    bytecode is pretty high-level stuff, and it doesn't leave that much to
    the imagination. It may not give you nice source code, but if you want
    answers to questions on how some mechanism in the code works,
    decompyle does a reasonable job.

    > Decompiling/Disassembling never gets you
    > the original source code back.

    True, but that's not always what you want, anyway. Some more opinions
    on the subject can be found here:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/HowDoYouProtectSource

    Paul

    Paul Boddie, Oct 8, 2008
  7. In message <>, Joe Strout
    wrote:

    > We have a client who's paranoid about distributing the Python source
    > to his commercial app.

    "Commercial" is not synonymous with "closed source". If he wanted to keep
    the source closed, Python was a poor choice. You could redo it in C or C++,
    and charge the client appropriately* for all the extra time and effort etc.

    *i.e. lots

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 9, 2008