    the toolbox, it automatically creates some tabs (if they are not already
    there), and the appropriate controls are added to each tab. Is there a way
    to do that?

    J.Marsch, Oct 8, 2003

  2. Hi,

    Thanks for your post. As I understand, you created several custom web
    controls in a Web Control Library. Now you want to create some tabs if
    needed in the Toolbox, and put each custom control to its corresponding Tab
    when you add the assembly to the toolbax. Please correct me if there is any
    misunderstanding. Now I'd like to share the following information with you:

    1. Based on my experience and research, we are not able to programmatically
    put a custom control to a specific Tab in the Toolbox in the control
    library. It is decided by the selected Tab where you right-click mouse and
    choose "Add/Remove Items". It's the same with the stock controls. For
    example, we are free to move (drag-n-drop) TextBox from "Web Forms" tab to
    "Data" tab, this information will persist and the TextBox control will say
    at "Data" tab when we restart Visual Studio .NET.

    2. You may be able to manipulate the Toobar by make use of the Visual
    Studio .NET automation model in a Visual Studio .NET Add-In. I do not
    recommend this method, because it's just one time operation to manually add
    Toolbox Tabs and drag-n-drop controls between Tabs.

    If you are interested in Visual Studio .NET automation model, please refer
    to the following MSDN article:

    Automation and Extensibility Overview
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vstechar
    t/html/vsoriautomationextensibilityoverview.asp

    Please feel free to let me know if you have any problems or concerns.

    Have a nice day!

    Regards,

    HuangTM
    Microsoft Online Partner Support
    MCSE/MCSD

    Get Secure! -- www.microsoft.com/security

    Tian Min Huang, Oct 9, 2003

  3. "Tian Min Huang" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for your post. As I understand, you created several custom web
    > controls in a Web Control Library. Now you want to create some tabs if
    > needed in the Toolbox, and put each custom control to its corresponding

    Tab
    > when you add the assembly to the toolbax. Please correct me if there is

    any
    > misunderstanding. Now I'd like to share the following information with

    you:

    > 1. Based on my experience and research, we are not able to

    programmatically
    > put a custom control to a specific Tab in the Toolbox in the control
    > library. It is decided by the selected Tab where you right-click mouse and
    > choose "Add/Remove Items". It's the same with the stock controls. For
    > example, we are free to move (drag-n-drop) TextBox from "Web Forms" tab to
    > "Data" tab, this information will persist and the TextBox control will say
    > at "Data" tab when we restart Visual Studio .NET.
    >
    > 2. You may be able to manipulate the Toobar by make use of the Visual
    > Studio .NET automation model in a Visual Studio .NET Add-In. I do not
    > recommend this method, because it's just one time operation to manually

    add
    > Toolbox Tabs and drag-n-drop controls between Tabs.

    Mr. Huang,

    Sorry to intrude on this conversation, but I wanted to mention that I know
    of a complicated control which creates several tabs when it is configured.
    The tabs are all for different parts of the controls UI. It does this when
    one of its controls is dragged to the page for the first time.
    --
    John Saunders
    Internet Engineer

    John Saunders, Oct 9, 2003
  4. Hi John,

    Thanks a lot for your information. I'm not familiar with the control you
    referenced. I suspect it is automating Visual Studio .NET as I already
    described.

    Tian Min Huang, Oct 10, 2003