Distributing Database Applications

J Holtendehouzer

I'm an Access developer, and I've been using VBA for some time. There are a
few things I can't do in VBA that I'd like to do, so I'm looking into
switching to VB.Net.

The problem is, I want to make sure I have all I need. I'm used to having
all the database connections and maintenance taken care of without my
knowledge.

If I write a database app in VB.Net 2003, what else do I need to make that
app distributable? With Access, I had to get the Access Developer
Extensions. If I have VS .Net 2003 and SQL Server Developer 2000 (they came
together), is that all I need?

Thanks for your help--if you know of any good resources for someone in my
spot, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks again!
Joe

Guest

The only thing that I can think of is MDAC. It should be installed with SQL
and/or Visual Studio on your dev machine, but you could possibly run into a
problem when you distribute your appliction. This is not likely to happen if
you need to install the .Net Framework and SQL on the machine your deploying
to, since MDAC is standard stuff, but if you deploy to a machine with an
existing SQL installation you could run into an issue with the MDAC version.

Other than that all of the components you need to connect to SQL are part of
the .Net Framework.