    then iframe those subpages into the main?

    Thank you
    , Jun 16, 2006

    "page design is quite nice"

    slightly new at relatively-qualtiy web design, so puffing in my wings a
    little to help me...not proudish-talk
    , Jun 16, 2006

  3. Philip Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > The layout of my new page design is quite nice, but it relies heavily
    > on tables to support it's rather complicated structure. It's not so
    > much the clarity that worries me - I've labeled everything nicely and
    > am gonna CSS it thoroughly once fully finished.
    >
    > In terms of not 'dulling' and repelling incoming spiders by having them
    > search through miles of structure before they get to the actual meat, I
    > want shrink my page as much as possible. Would iframes be the best way
    > to do this?: move certain sections of the main page, into subpages, and
    > then iframe those subpages into the main?

    Hi Action,
    I doubt that spiders are going to be put off by the quantity of HTML
    tags in your code. You might, however, want to make your pages
    lightweight for the users who have to download them, also for your own
    maintenance sanity.

    Google has some guidelines for Webmasters, and in the basic principles
    they say, "Make pages for users, not for search engines". They also
    mention frames as something to be a little wary of (but it's a mild
    admonition) and they encourage you to use correct HTML. It's worth a
    read, and I imagine that if other search engines published guidelines,
    they'd read similarly.

    http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=35769

    HTH

    --
    Philip
    http://NikitaTheSpider.com/
    Philip, Jun 17, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > The layout of my new page design is quite nice, but it relies heavily
    > on tables to support it's rather complicated structure. It's not so
    > much the clarity that worries me - I've labeled everything nicely and
    > am gonna CSS it thoroughly once fully finished.
    >
    > In terms of not 'dulling' and repelling incoming spiders by having them
    > search through miles of structure before they get to the actual meat, I
    > want shrink my page as much as possible. Would iframes be the best way
    > to do this?: move certain sections of the main page, into subpages, and
    > then iframe those subpages into the main?

    One effect way to make your pages lighter weight is dump the tables for
    layout and restrict the HTML to markup and put your stying in a common
    stylesheet. Deprecated presentational markup can really balloon the code
    because of the repetitive declarations that must be made to style each
    cell! My sites tend to be very complicated in "styling" and it can be
    done with CSS.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan