    the pipeline to the server, have them copied to the right place, and
    then restart the server which can then invoke the new code. Is this
    feasible? Will there be any other issues involved?

    r1pp3r, Aug 29, 2006

  2. r1pp3r wrote:

    > What I would like to do is have the system update itself on demand. In
    > other words, pass pickled objects (the code comprising the server) down
    > the pipeline to the server, have them copied to the right place, and
    > then restart the server which can then invoke the new code.

    should work (assuming you trust the various systems involved, and your
    own ability to avoid deploying broken code)

    but using a custom protocol for this sounds like a slight overkill,
    though. I would probably use rsync (over ssh) at regular intervals, or,
    if we're only talking about small amounts of code, a bootstrap script
    that fetches the current version over http(s) every time the server starts.

    (in the http case, you can use etag/if-modified-since to avoid
    downloading things if they haven't changed, but if you're on a fast
    network, that probably won't matter much).

    </F>

    Fredrik Lundh, Aug 29, 2006