distributing perl applications

buildmorelines

I have a perl script I wrote for win32, and I want it to be the
quality of a typical C windows program. I have read about the bytecode
compiler and the perl2exe and AS perlapp programs. I dont want the end
user to ever have to know they are running perl under the hood
(shortcuts cant be "perl myscript.pl"), and I dont want them to have
to install perl seperatly (maybe a stripped version of perl would be
ok, but cant be a long install). I also want it to be pre compiled so
there is no pause at compilation. I think bytecode does that but I may
be wrong. I dont care about space or number of files really. What
should I use and any ideas?

Ben Morrow

Quoth (e-mail address removed) (buildmorelines):
I have a perl script I wrote for win32, and I want it to be the
quality of a typical C windows program. I have read about the bytecode
compiler and the perl2exe and AS perlapp programs. I dont want the end
user to ever have to know they are running perl under the hood
(shortcuts cant be "perl myscript.pl"), and I dont want them to have
to install perl seperatly (maybe a stripped version of perl would be
ok, but cant be a long install). I also want it to be pre compiled so
there is no pause at compilation. I think bytecode does that but I may
be wrong. I dont care about space or number of files really. What
should I use and any ideas?

Use pp from the PAR.pm distribution (doesn't compile, it just packages a
perl interpreter, your script and any modules up into a single exe).

Ben

Seth Brundle

It really depends on the specifications of the project.

If you only need to send it to people in your company who know your email
address for support, try the perlball options others have mentioned.

If you are releasing commercial software and want a professional Windows
user experience, take the time to port it to VB at least with a quality
installer/uninstaller, or C++ if there is a compelling requirement which is
solved by C++ and not VB.