Distributing projects.

Discussion in 'Java' started by Daniel Pitts, Jan 17, 2010.

  1. Daniel Pitts

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Hello,

    I have a project that I've been working on, and its nearly ready for
    beta distribution. It's on sourceforge if that makes any difference.

    The program itself can be distributed as a single executable jar file,
    but there are other files that should be included. For one thing, at
    least some "getting started" documentation. For another thing, sample
    files for use within the program. The samples should be part of the
    default installation, because they will be useful to most people.

    So, what are some common ways of handling this? I could build a couple
    of distributions (.zip, .tgz, .tar.bz2), and let people install them
    manually, but I'd rather make it as easy as possible.

    Also, I have literally no budget for this, so any solution should be
    free (free beer, not necessarily free speech). It is an open source
    project if that makes other options available.

    Thanks,
    Daniel.
    Daniel Pitts, Jan 17, 2010

  2. Daniel Pitts

    Steve Sobol Guest

    In article <2SI4n.18789$>,
    says...

    http://launch4j.sf.net to create a Windows executable
    http://installjammer.com to create cross-platform installers.

    --
    Steve Sobol, Victorville, California, USA
    Steve Sobol, Jan 17, 2010

  3. Daniel Pitts

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 17-01-2010 13:42, Daniel Pitts wrote:
    > I have a project that I've been working on, and its nearly ready for
    > beta distribution. It's on sourceforge if that makes any difference.
    >
    > The program itself can be distributed as a single executable jar file,
    > but there are other files that should be included. For one thing, at
    > least some "getting started" documentation. For another thing, sample
    > files for use within the program. The samples should be part of the
    > default installation, because they will be useful to most people.
    >
    > So, what are some common ways of handling this? I could build a couple
    > of distributions (.zip, .tgz, .tar.bz2), and let people install them
    > manually, but I'd rather make it as easy as possible.
    >
    > Also, I have literally no budget for this, so any solution should be
    > free (free beer, not necessarily free speech). It is an open source
    > project if that makes other options available.

    If the expected audience are developers then I would definitely
    say just ZIP format. Very flexible and non-intrusive.

    If the app is for ordinary end-users (the "where is the ANY key?"
    type), then consider an installer.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jan 17, 2010
  4. Daniel Pitts

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, Arne Vajh?j wrote:

    > On 17-01-2010 13:42, Daniel Pitts wrote:
    >> I have a project that I've been working on, and its nearly ready for
    >> beta distribution. It's on sourceforge if that makes any difference.
    >>
    >> The program itself can be distributed as a single executable jar file,
    >> but there are other files that should be included. For one thing, at
    >> least some "getting started" documentation. For another thing, sample
    >> files for use within the program. The samples should be part of the
    >> default installation, because they will be useful to most people.
    >>
    >> So, what are some common ways of handling this? I could build a couple
    >> of distributions (.zip, .tgz, .tar.bz2), and let people install them
    >> manually, but I'd rather make it as easy as possible.

    > If the expected audience are developers then I would definitely
    > say just ZIP format. Very flexible and non-intrusive.

    +1, with the emphasis on non-intrusive. I would *much* rather have a zip
    than an installer. I know what a zip's going to do when i open it, and i
    get a chance to look at the contents before i do anything with them, and
    then what i do is my decision. Installers take that autonomy away from me.
    I'm even annoyed with RPMs because of this - i installed OpenJDK from an
    RPM to play with the other day, and it made itself my default java. Not
    what i wanted, and something that caused me some significant debugging
    pain.

    tom

    --
    Heinlein has done more to harm SF than has any other writer, I think. --
    PKD
    Tom Anderson, Jan 17, 2010
  5. On 1/17/2010 10:42 AM, Daniel Pitts wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a project that I've been working on, and its nearly ready for
    > beta distribution. It's on sourceforge if that makes any difference.
    >
    > The program itself can be distributed as a single executable jar file,
    > but there are other files that should be included. For one thing, at
    > least some "getting started" documentation. For another thing, sample
    > files for use within the program. The samples should be part of the
    > default installation, because they will be useful to most people.
    >
    > So, what are some common ways of handling this? I could build a couple
    > of distributions (.zip, .tgz, .tar.bz2), and let people install them
    > manually, but I'd rather make it as easy as possible.
    >
    > Also, I have literally no budget for this, so any solution should be
    > free (free beer, not necessarily free speech). It is an open source
    > project if that makes other options available.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Daniel.

    The ancillary files can be included in the .jar file. The first time
    the program is run it can extract those files from itself.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute2010/
    Knute Johnson, Jan 18, 2010
  6. Daniel Pitts

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:42:05 -0800, Daniel Pitts
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly
    quoted someone who said :

    >Also, I have literally no budget for this, so any solution should be
    >free (free beer, not necessarily free speech). It is an open source
    >project if that makes other options available.

    If the problem is frequent updates to pieces of this project, you
    might look into the Replicator which keeps the clients copy of a group
    of files in sync with your master copy. The client needs to run Java
    Web Start. No fancy firewall stuff required. It is completely
    multiplatform, no separate downloads.

    see http://mindprod.com/products1.html#REPLICATOR

    You might then distribute your project as a number of smaller jars,
    individual javadoc files, individual scripts and bat files.

    One way I see commonly done is a set of "distributions", e.g. zip, tar

    You could use an installer. See
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/installer.html

    Some are free. They will create various bundles for you for various
    platforms with a little installer program to insert the files in a
    directory selected by the user. Zero G had a free one a few years
    ago. I was not all that impressed, but it did work. The poor quality
    of installers is one of my pet peeves.

    I just distribute a zip, and trust the techie audience will know what
    to do from there. However, that is not really suitable for products
    like my Canadian Tax calculator that has a primarily non-technical
    audience. On my todo list is to use Jet's installer so Windows people
    can have hand-holding installer. I trust Linux folk won't need the
    hand holding.

    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    Roedy Green, Jan 18, 2010
  7. Daniel Pitts

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 17-01-2010 21:59, Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:42:05 -0800, Daniel Pitts
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly
    > quoted someone who said :
    >> Also, I have literally no budget for this, so any solution should be
    >> free (free beer, not necessarily free speech). It is an open source
    >> project if that makes other options available.

    > If the problem is frequent updates to pieces of this project, you
    > might look into the Replicator which keeps the clients copy of a group
    > of files in sync with your master copy. The client needs to run Java
    > Web Start.

    Isn't automatic update part of standard Java Web Start ??

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jan 18, 2010