Distributing Python App

KDawg44

Hi,

I am very new to Python but find it very interesting (from what I know
of it) and am considering writing an application. However, I have a
question regarding distribution of the app once it is done. Is there
a way to package everything a user needs to run the app or will they
have to install Python their machine? This is probably an obvious
question but most development I do is for administrative tasks on
servers and such, not usually development of an app for someone else.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Mike Driscoll

Hi,

I am very new to Python but find it very interesting (from what I know
of it) and am considering writing an application.  However, I have a
question regarding distribution of the app once it is done.  Is there
a way to package everything a user needs to run the app or will they
have to install Python their machine?  This is probably an obvious
question but most development I do is for administrative tasks on
servers and such, not usually development of an app for someone else.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin

There is a variety of packaging programs. For Windows, you can use
py2app and py2exe. I think the former can also be used for Mac and
maybe Linux. If you are doing it on Windows, I would recommend
packaging it with one of those and then using something like Inno
Setup to create an installer.

Mike