Distributing Python Apps and MySQL

dcrespo

Hi there... I want to distribute my python apps and the MySQL Database
in the easiest way possible. I mean a user just run the installation
file and all is automaticly installed. Any suggestions?

My knowledge: I know, as many of you, that there's py2exe for compiling
python apps for running under Windows. But what about the database
structure and data? I think it could be reached through a .qry run in
the MySQL database from an installation instruction. But (one more
time) what about the automated installation of the MySQL database
without user intervention?

Daniel Crespo

rbt

dcrespo said:
Hi there... I want to distribute my python apps and the MySQL Database
in the easiest way possible. I mean a user just run the installation
file and all is automaticly installed. Any suggestions?

My knowledge: I know, as many of you, that there's py2exe for compiling
python apps for running under Windows. But what about the database
structure and data? I think it could be reached through a .qry run in
the MySQL database from an installation instruction. But (one more
time) what about the automated installation of the MySQL database
without user intervention?

Daniel Crespo

I don't think one can distribute mysql within a software package w/o
buying a commercial license to do so. Check out their licensing on their
website here:

"When your application is not licensed under either the GPL-compatible
Free Software License as defined by the Free Software Foundation or
approved by OSI, and you intend to or you may distribute MySQL software,
you must first obtain a commercial license to the MySQL product."

http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/commercial-license.html

Jarek Zgoda

rbt napisa³(a):
I don't think one can distribute mysql within a software package w/o
buying a commercial license to do so. Check out their licensing on their
website here:

"When your application is not licensed under either the GPL-compatible
Free Software License as defined by the Free Software Foundation or
approved by OSI, and you intend to or you may distribute MySQL software,
you must first obtain a commercial license to the MySQL product."

http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/commercial-license.html

Don't see any legal problem here, if package is on GPL-compatible or
OSI-approved license.

Anyway, if you want this "installer" to be multiplatform, I think you
should write one. There are many good installer software packages for
Windows (chief among free ones are Inno Setup and NSInstall), but I know
only one for linux platform -- the one that XFCE uses and I don't know
its internals, so I will speak only for Inno Setup for Windows.

It's really comprehensive tool set, as you can perform many tasks during
installation -- you can install subpackages, perform pre- and
post-installation steps and automate many tasks, providing they can be
scripted. See http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php and read
documentation, it's definitely worth this.

Dave Cook

Hi there... I want to distribute my python apps and the MySQL Database
in the easiest way possible. I mean a user just run the installation
file and all is automaticly installed. Any suggestions?

sqlite is even easier: a single DLL for the engine, a single file for the
data, and the license couldn't be more liberal.

http://www.sqlite.org

Dave Cook

dcrespo

Hi. Thank you for your answer. I had been working on NSInstaller since
it was the first one I looked up.
I take advantage of this comment to say that NSInstaller really works
(for whoever that is reading this) ;)