Distributing python apps

Robert Dailey

Hi,

I'm creating a set of command-line tools using Python. These tools
manage resources for a game I'm working on. However, many people that
will be using these tools will not want to install Python on their
machines. This would be a very tedious process (for first time users
of my tools).

Ideally, I would like for someone to be able to use my tools without
having to install Python. For example, if I could put python.exe in a
hidden folder somewhere in my tools directory, and make a batch file
that they run to start the tool, python could be executed from a
relative path in my tools directory. Is this possible? What is an
ideal way of distributing python apps? I would prefer a transparent
and user-friendly approach.

Thanks for any tips.

Thomas Wittek

Robert said:
Ideally, I would like for someone to be able to use my tools without
having to install Python.

What about http://www.py2exe.org/ ?

"py2exe is a Python Distutils extension which converts Python scripts
into executable Windows programs, able to run without requiring a Python
installation."

kyosohma

Hi,

I'm creating a set of command-line tools using Python. These tools
manage resources for a game I'm working on. However, many people that
will be using these tools will not want to install Python on their
machines. This would be a very tedious process (for first time users
of my tools).

Ideally, I would like for someone to be able to use my tools without
having to install Python. For example, if I could put python.exe in a
hidden folder somewhere in my tools directory, and make a batch file
that they run to start the tool, python could be executed from a
relative path in my tools directory. Is this possible? What is an
ideal way of distributing python apps? I would prefer a transparent
and user-friendly approach.

Thanks for any tips.

The typical approach is using py2exe:

http://www.py2exe.org/

I use it in conjunction with Inno Setup.

http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

GUI2Exe is a GUI interface to py2exe:

http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/eng/GUI2Exe.html

Mike