Distributing Python-programs to Ubuntu users

Olof Bjarnason

Hi!

I write small games in Python/PyGame. I want to find a way to make a
downloadable package/installer/script to put on my webpage, especially
for Ubuntu users.

I've skimmed a couple of tutorials on how to generate .deb-files, but,
wow, it's a whole new skill set to do that!

Does anyone have any hint on a more economic way of creating
single-file distribution packages for Python+PyGame projects? Maybe
some GUI-tool that automates the .deb file creation process, but
targetting Python specifically and not C++.

/Olof

Paul Boddie

Hi!

I write small games in Python/PyGame. I want to find a way to make a
downloadable package/installer/script to put on my webpage, especially
for Ubuntu users.

I've skimmed a couple of tutorials on how to generate .deb-files, but,
wow, it's a whole new skill set to do that!

If you start simple and don't have to produce extension modules, it's
not too bad, but finding all the right tools is an awkward task. I'm
not sure that I've really mastered the craft yet.
Does anyone have any hint on a more economic way of creating
single-file distribution packages for Python+PyGame projects? Maybe
some GUI-tool that automates the .deb file creation process, but
targetting Python specifically and not C++.

You could take a look at this PyGame project:

http://www.infukor.com/rally7.html

The sources contain packaging infrastructure for Debian/Ubuntu, and
you could certainly adapt that for your own purposes.

Paul

Olof Bjarnason

2009/9/25 Paul Boddie said:
If you start simple and don't have to produce extension modules, it's
not too bad, but finding all the right tools is an awkward task. I'm
not sure that I've really mastered the craft yet.

You could take a look at this PyGame project:

http://www.infukor.com/rally7.html

Thanks this might come in handy.