Distributing Python programs

NEWS

Can I install Python on a networked server and have any user run Python
programs without having to go through the 9Mb client install?

What are my options for distributing Python programs to my users?

Thankyou to anyone who can help.

Graham

Peter Hansen

NEWS said:
Can I install Python on a networked server and have any user run Python
programs without having to go through the 9Mb client install?

Yes, we run dozens of machines from a single network installation.
Depending on what extensions you need to install (e.g. win32all) you may
need to make some small manual adjustments to get it to work, but
in essence you can just do a "non-admin" local install, then copy the
entire directory tree to the network.
What are my options for distributing Python programs to my users?

py2exe: http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/

the Macmillan Installer: http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/installer_dnld.html

etc...

-Peter

Graham

Peter Hansen said:
Yes, we run dozens of machines from a single network installation.
Depending on what extensions you need to install (e.g. win32all) you may
need to make some small manual adjustments to get it to work, but
in essence you can just do a "non-admin" local install, then copy the
entire directory tree to the network.
Peter
Thanks for this info. Will this work with Python for Windows? I tried what
you suggested a few days ago but found when I ran a python script it asked
me for a python.dll which I have found not in the directory tree but in my
local system32 directory (I have a local Python installation).

What is significant about the "non-admin" install and how do you do this?

regards

Graham Smith

PeopleSoft Technical Team Leader
OXFAM GB
+44 (1865) 313255
(e-mail address removed)

Skip Montanaro

Graham> Can I install Python on a networked server and have any user run
Graham> Python programs without having to go through the 9Mb client
Graham> install?

Are you talking about Windows? I think that as long as you copy
Python23.dll to the same directory as python.exe you will be okay. For
Unix-y systems as long as everyone is on the same architecture you should be
okay.

Graham> What are my options for distributing Python programs to my users?

Distutils is probably the way to go assuming they already have access to
Python proper. Check the distutils docs:

http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-distutils.html

Otherwise, take a look at py2exe (Windows only) or Gordon MacMillan's
installer (cross-platform?).

Skip

Peter Hansen

Graham said:
Peter
Thanks for this info. Will this work with Python for Windows?

Yes, this is specifically with Windows 98.
I tried what
you suggested a few days ago but found when I ran a python script it asked
me for a python.dll which I have found not in the directory tree but in my
local system32 directory (I have a local Python installation).

What is significant about the "non-admin" install and how do you do this?

The significance of the "non-admin" install is that it would fix the problem
you just described...

-Peter

Graham

Thank you to Peter, Skip and Premshree for your help. I got my network
install of Python up and running and all is well !!!