Distribution of modules, historically

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Mark Shaw, Mar 25, 2005.

  1. Mark Shaw

    Mark Shaw Guest

    Is there a reference somewhere that lists which modules were
    released with which versions of perl?

    Specifically, I'm facing a situation where Date::Calc - used in a
    script which I am responsible for maintaining - is not present at
    a customer's site, and he is unwilling to obtain it.

    I've bypassed this particular problem simply by rewriting the
    missing function locally, but I'd like a more general-purpose way
    of predicting which modules will be available on a particular
    customer's machines, given the perl version he has. Or, more to
    the point, I can avoid the use of modules that weren't released
    until later versions of perl, to make my scripts maximally portable
    to the entire body of customers - E.G. obviously I should avoid Date,
    but Getopt is probably safe.

    (I know that if I absolutely have to know for a particular module, I
    can always get a customer to check with 'perl -MFoo::Bar -e 1' - but
    that's not really what I'm after.)

    I checked the perl release history at perl.com, but it doesn't get
    that granular.

    Thanks!

    (If replying by email, see below.)

    --
    Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
    Mark Shaw, Mar 25, 2005

    I usually look at the modules list at perl.com for respective release.

    > Specifically, I'm facing a situation where Date::Calc - used in a
    > script which I am responsible for maintaining - is not present at
    > a customer's site,

    AFAIK, Date::Calc has never been included in the standard distribution.

    > I'd like a more general-purpose way
    > of predicting which modules will be available on a particular
    > customer's machines,

    You'd better base your prediction on a requirement. For a script I
    wrote, where portability is important, I require Perl 5.005 or later
    with the modules included in the Perl distribution installed. To the
    extent I'm using non-standard modules, or modules that were included as
    standard only after version 5.005, I include them in the distribution of
    my own script.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Mar 25, 2005

  3. * Mark Shaw schrieb:

    > Is there a reference somewhere that lists which modules were
    > released with which versions of perl?

    Have a look at CPAN. Module::CoreList seems to be the one you (not?)
    searching for.

    http://search.cpan.org/~rclamp/Module-CoreList-1.98/lib/Module/CoreList.pm

    > Specifically, I'm facing a situation where Date::Calc - used in a
    > script which I am responsible for maintaining - is not present at
    > a customer's site, and he is unwilling to obtain it.

    On my own system (Perl 5.8.6) the module Date::Calc isn't present.
    According to this, Module::CoreList should tell you that Date::Calc
    isn't a standard module yet.

    regards,
    fabian
    Fabian Pilkowski, Mar 25, 2005
  4. Mark Shaw

    Mark Shaw Guest

    Fabian Pilkowski <-marburg.de> wrote:
    > * Mark Shaw schrieb:

    > > Is there a reference somewhere that lists which modules were
    > > released with which versions of perl?

    > Have a look at CPAN. Module::CoreList seems to be the one you (not?)
    > searching for.

    > http://search.cpan.org/~rclamp/Module-CoreList-1.98/lib/Module/CoreList.pm

    Thank you, that's exactly what I need.

    > > Specifically, I'm facing a situation where Date::Calc - used in a
    > > script which I am responsible for maintaining - is not present at
    > > a customer's site, and he is unwilling to obtain it.

    > On my own system (Perl 5.8.6) the module Date::Calc isn't present.
    > According to this, Module::CoreList should tell you that Date::Calc
    > isn't a standard module yet.

    Yes, that's correct. No wonder it's not at my customer's site.

    Mark Shaw, Mar 25, 2005