distutils and building an distribution that includes other packages

Paul Hemans

Hi,
I am new to Python, and after a lot of sweat and tears, I have my first app.
Now I need to deploy it to end-users. The application includes the use of
lxml and sqlAlchemy so I need those to install automatically as part of the
installation process. I really don't want the users having to download
various modules and install them. Is this facility (to download and install
other packages seamlessly) part of distutils? If so, I have been looking
around for a simple tutorial on the topic but haven't found anything yet.
Can anyone point me to some information?

Thanks

Chris Rebert

Hi,
I am new to Python, and after a lot of sweat and tears, I have my first app.
Now I need to deploy it to end-users. The application includes the use of
lxml and sqlAlchemy so I need those to install automatically as part of the
installation process. I really don't want the users having to download
various modules and install them. Is this facility (to download and install
other packages seamlessly) part of distutils? If so, I have been looking
around for a simple tutorial on the topic but haven't found anything yet.
Can anyone point me to some information?

Since I'm guessing your platform is Windows, you'll probably be
interested in py2exe - http://www.py2exe.org/

Cheers,
Chris

Paul Hemans

Hi Chris,
Yes I do intend to use py2exe for windows installation but I don't
understand how it will help me distribute lxml and sqlAlchemy as part of the
install, or am I missing something?

Chris Rebert

Hi Chris,
Yes I do intend to use py2exe for windows installation but I don't
understand how it will help me distribute lxml and sqlAlchemy as part of the
install, or am I missing something?

Granted I haven't used Windows (and thus py2exe) in a while, but last
I recall the executable it produced was a self-contained Python
executable containing the main script and all its necessary
modules/libraries. I think there were some issues getting it to
include certain finnicky third-party libraries, but once tweaked
properly it could be coaxed to include them.

Thus, you don't need to install/distribute the libraries at all;
they'll be included as part of the generated executable. Then to
distribute/install your program, you just copy the executable (and
maybe a DLL or two, again it's been a while).

Cheers,
Chris

Paul Hemans

Granted I haven't used Windows (and thus py2exe) in a while, but last
I recall the executable it produced was a self-contained Python
executable containing the main script and all its necessary
modules/libraries. I think there were some issues getting it to
include certain finnicky third-party libraries, but once tweaked
properly it could be coaxed to include them.

Thus, you don't need to install/distribute the libraries at all;
they'll be included as part of the generated executable. Then to
distribute/install your program, you just copy the executable (and
maybe a DLL or two, again it's been a while).

Cheers,
Chris
--http://blog.rebertia.com- Hide quoted text -

Ah, I was overcomplicating things (again).
Thanks