distutils.core not in Debian python2.2 package

Discussion in 'Python' started by Kent Tenney, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. Kent Tenney

    Kent Tenney Guest

    Howdy,

    I did;
    # apt-get install python2.2

    # python
    Python 2.2.1

    then checked docutils out of CVS
    and did;

    docutils# python ./setup.py install

    ImportError: No module named distutils.core

    How do I install distutils?

    Thanks,
    Kent
    Kent Tenney, Jul 19, 2003

  2. Kent Tenney

    Kent Tenney Guest

    Thanks

    It surprises me to find distutils in a package described as:

    "Header files and a static library for Python (v2.2)"

    Kent

    Kent Tenney, Jul 20, 2003

  3. Kent Tenney

    Alessio Pace Guest

    I wonder why the corresponding package python2.3-dev does not exist..
    No distutils for python2.3 developers?

    --
    bye
    Alessio Pace

    Alessio Pace, Jul 21, 2003
  4. Kent Tenney wrote:
    > David M. Cooke wrote:
    >> In general, if you need to compile, or develop, you need the
    >> corresponding *-dev packages.

    > I didn't need to compile or develop, just install.
    >
    > I expected
    >
    > $ python ./setup.py install
    >
    > to work out of the box. [...]

    From the view of the packagers, you only need disutils for development
    work. Manually installing modules counts as "development" as well. At
    least to them.

    -- Gerhard
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=, Jul 21, 2003
  5. At some point, Alessio Pace <> wrote:

    > I wonder why the corresponding package python2.3-dev does not exist..
    > No distutils for python2.3 developers?

    ?? There is for me
    $ apt-cache search python2.3-dev
    python2.3-dev - Header files and a static library for Python (v2.3)
    $

    David M. Cooke, Jul 21, 2003