Distutils evil voodoo: install into a package

Pavel Panchekha

Before you flame me, I know that what I'm trying to do is beyond evil.
But I nonetheless want to do it. Feel free to rant if you must. :)

I have a package that I want to install into another package. For
example, I have the packages pya and pyb.
pya is guaranteed to be installed before pyb is, so that's not an
issue. pya is installed as the module `pya`. I want to install pyb
into the module `pya.pyb`.

Is there any way to do this beyond figuring out what the path is and
installing the entire pyb directory as data_files?

Diez B. Roggisch

Pavel said:
Before you flame me, I know that what I'm trying to do is beyond evil.
But I nonetheless want to do it. Feel free to rant if you must. :)

I have a package that I want to install into another package. For
example, I have the packages pya and pyb.
pya is guaranteed to be installed before pyb is, so that's not an
issue. pya is installed as the module `pya`. I want to install pyb
into the module `pya.pyb`.

Is there any way to do this beyond figuring out what the path is and
installing the entire pyb directory as data_files?

This is what whe world has created namespace-packages for. At least if
you can live with the namespace "pya" being otherwise empty.

Pray tell - what is your usecase?

Diez

Pavel Panchekha

This is what whe world has created namespace-packages for. At least if
you can live with the namespace "pya" being otherwise empty.

That seems like a good solution. Thanks!